View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:34 pm

Mountain Lion caught on trail camera in Highland County, Va. 
2 Year Old

Post Mountain Lion caught on trail camera in Highland County, Va.
If one of the admistrators thinks this shouldn't be on the form I understand if you delete it but I think it's good information to share.

My friend from the next county up from where I live caught a mountain lion on her trail camera behind her grand mothers house up on the mountain. Their here.

The only thing that were missing is that long pop can size tall that didn't make the picture. You can see that the cat is bigger than any bobcat. It is one solid Tan color it doesnt have any spots like a bobcat. It's paws are huge and you can see the the white patch that's on the cats mouth that mountain lions have. This is clearly a mountain lion sitting in Va.

Mon May 06, 2013 2:42 pm
2 Year Old

Post Re: Mountain Lion caught on trail camera in Highland County,
Hopefully she can get a full picture with the dead give away mountain lion tail.

Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 pm
King of Spring

I'm sure there are a few more around, just camera shy. That will def work on population control.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:10 pm
Jake

I saw one while bowhunting last fall. It was 40 yards away and I know what I saw. People who don't want to believe they are here will never believe it until they see one for themselves in person. I have always believed they here. Just think, bobcats are found in our area and I have been hunting for 15 years now and didn't see the first bobcat til last fall when I shot it with my bow. Seems that big cats could live right in under our noses and we wouldn't even know it until a trail camera picture shows up with distinct evidence.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:44 pm
King of Spring

Sorry.. still not buying it .. I have seen plenty of Bobcats with little to no spots on them that are as big looking as that picture is..

I am one of the skeptics until I actually see one or a clear picture of one that I know originated in VA ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon May 06, 2013 3:52 pm
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
Sorry.. still not buying it .. I have seen plenty of Bobcats with little to no spots on them that are as big looking as that picture is..

I am one of the skeptics until I actually see one or a clear picture of one that I know originated in VA ..

X2

Mon May 06, 2013 4:36 pm
King of Spring

Econo wrote:
WVBOY wrote:

X2

Make it 3! Too many trail cams out there not to get a clear pic of one. Plus, with all the bear hunters in VA running hounds 8-10 months a year, they should have come upon one by now.

Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 pm
King of Spring

x4! I agree with Barry, way to many bear hounds running these mountains to not have come across one. Plus the eastern puma research group has put out plenty of trail cams to no avail! Lots of pics of every other critter in VA except a cougar! If they do exist they are more than likely "pets" that outgrew the owner and were released, definitely not the eastern puma folks want so bad to still exist. My 2 cents.

Mon May 06, 2013 8:46 pm
Jake

In 2011 a cougar from South Dakota, took a walk through MN, WI and MI and was killed by a car in Connecticut, a distance of 1600 miles http://dnr.wi.gov/news/BreakingNews_Lookup.asp?id=2158 If the cat had turned right at WI instead of left, it'd of been a shorter walk from SD to VA, than it was to CT via Ontario, Canada.
In 2012, we had 8 confirmed sightings (click on Sightings http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/cougar.html)
Mostly due to all the game cameras in use now. A lot of the big cats are coming out of South Dakota looking for mates and a new place to live.

Mon May 06, 2013 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Well right there is the picture it didnt catch the tail. Which would have been undienable. This girl is my friend she's just a ole country girl. Had the camera there for years. She just likes looking at the pictures. Checks it's ever other week. And boom she got this picture last week sometime or the week before. I didn't believe in it myself but I do now.

Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 am
King of Spring

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or cause a stir.. if you believe that is a Puma than great.. I still think it is more likely a picture of a Big Bobcat ..

I do remember that story about the one lone Cat that walked to CT .. crazy story .. but again just one lone cat that took a walk for some reason.. didn't seem to be living anywhere..

You know those sightings are from Wisconsin right?

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue May 07, 2013 9:08 am
King of Spring

I’m not sure if we have them or not. It would be pretty cool to see one. No I would not shoot it either. She or he has just as much right to be roaming the woods as I do.

What I’m looking at is the face. I can barely make it out but the white area with the dark line does resemble that of a cougar.

Who knows maybe we do have a few, but like Barry stated, you would think with all the wildlife game camera out there now, we would be seeing a few more reports.
Anyhow, it makes fun conversation, thanks for sharing.

Tim

Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 am
King of Spring

Ok if cougars were proved to be in our area( just hypothetically) how should we handle it? Would people be more apt to protect them, or consider them a danger/nuisance and want to get rid of them? Just curious to see every ones opinion. Personally I think they would be fine, the only problem would be people trying to get to close.

Tue May 07, 2013 12:10 pm
King of Spring

That picture is too blurry for an accurate analysis.

They say we have them here in NH. Residents I doubt.

Too many #3 and #4 foot traps set for coyotes for many years and no reported mountain lion catches.

Every critter that roams the NH landscape at one time or another has been squashed on asphalt.

Why no mountain lions?

Call me Thomas.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Tue May 07, 2013 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

I have to think if they were out running around someone would have shot one, hit one, or a least taken a trail pic of one that isnt so blurry and grainy that you cant really tell what it is.

Tue May 07, 2013 1:32 pm