View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:31 pm

Woods or field? 
2 Year Old

Post Woods or field?
I am curious how many out there prefer to hunt turkeys in fields/pastures versus in the big woods? Also, some years it seems like all of the turkeys are in the green fields, then other years they are more spread out between the woods and fields. What do you think are the key factors which determine where the birds are...woods vs fields or the obvious...both?

Wed May 01, 2013 7:45 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Woods or field?
I guess it would depend on what's close to where they roost. Where I hunt in the beginning of the season they would go in the field because the barley was short. Now they just walk the edge and stay in the woods. I would just go to where they are and try a setup if it doesn't work try another spot. There are just a lot of factors to look at to decide whether field or woods.

Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am
2 Year Old

I understand what you are saying...be versatile and adapt your style to what fits the situation where you hunt. That is what probably most do, but in my case I much prefer runnin' and gunnin' in the big woods to putting out a decoy set and crawling in a blind on a field before daylight. I have a buddy who almost exclusively hunts fields with decoys, and he kills more birds than I do. I have permission to hunt a 100 acre field directly in front of my house. Last year there were 7 mature gobblers in the field daily. I tagged only one of those birds the first day I hunted it, then never returned to hunt again. That's how much I prefer hunting "woods birds" over "field birds." I guess I was wondering if there was anyone else that weird out there? haha

Also, the old timers used to tell me birds were more likely to be in the woods (and gobble better) in years when there was a good mast crop. Anyone else ever hear this? Do you believe it is true?

Wed May 01, 2013 12:51 pm
King of Spring

My preference? definitely woods.

Wed May 01, 2013 1:47 pm
King of Spring

I hunt both.. but I prefer the woods.. In my experience a turkey is more apt to come to a call in the woods than across a field.. I will take a woods turkey any day over a field bird if you give me a choice and tell me I need to kill one of them ..

But at the same time I like hunting with my 9 and 7 year olds and fields and decoys with blinds are just better for youngsters period.. I setup a blind in the woods opening day and called two birds in and got neither one of them because of the obstacles that a woods shot causes for a 9 year old boy.. I also like to video hunts and blinds and fields and decoys make for the best option there too..

So I do both.. but prefer the woods when it comes to killing turkeys..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed May 01, 2013 2:29 pm
King of Spring

Field turkeys, big fields anyways, used to be the hardest birds to kill at least that was my impression. I think decoys, especially strutting decoys early in the season has made them maybe the easiest birds to kill. I dont have many places anymore that have many big fields to hunt, mostly mountains, hardwoods, and swamps. I have decoys but havent set one out this year just dont like toting them and probably not much of an advantage where I hunt anyway.

I like hunting in the woods, but I would love to hunt property that had both, and a river bottom and nice hardwood ridge, maybe a grown up clearcutt here or there. In my mind turkey hunting is at its finest with a gobbler gobbling and strutting to the call in open hardwoods in the early light of morning, even better when the woods have leafed out. My take anyway.

Wed May 01, 2013 3:03 pm
2 Year Old

Very good points and interesting perspectives. Curious in your experience have you found that birds are up in the woods...higher up the mountains?...or down low closer to the fields...or both this year?

Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 pm
King of Spring

Something I have observed in my turkey hunting seasons regarding mountain woods birds. They seem to prefer the same elevation during a given season, but that elevation varies from season to season. Had had a fair amount of success in finding and being in birds by keeping this in mind when chasing them mountain birds. Prefer to keep field hunting for poor weather days (high winds, rain). Bobber watchin, as GN puts it, is a style of hunting all in itself. Can be very effective, but the core turkey hunter in me loves to roam those spring woods.

Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 pm
Profile YIM
2 Year Old

Interesting Dale. If you don't mind me asking, what has been your magic elevation in the mtns this year? Or if it's easier to be general, would you say tops of ridges, mid way up in coves or on sides of the mtns, or down low near the fields.

Thu May 02, 2013 8:39 pm
King of Spring

Turkeypicker3 wrote:
Very good points and interesting perspectives. Curious in your experience have you found that birds are up in the woods...higher up the mountains?...or down low closer to the fields...or both this year?

Haha Which day? Which week?

Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 pm
2 Year Old

I'm a mountain boy. I like working birds in the mountains by far. But when it comes down to it I go where the birds are.

Thu May 02, 2013 10:44 pm
2 Year Old

Touche Bird Dog! I am guilty as charged of trying to match Sqoose's virtual scouting abilities for my trip to the VA mtns next week. Keep me straight buddy! :wink:

Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 am
2 Year Old

Bird, if you think the scouting questions are over the top you should see my 6-ft X 10-ft Delorme topo map of half of the VA mountains...haha. It is a mosaic of probably 50 8-1/2 X 11" pages taped together with packaging tape. It has so many colors and notes from Google Earth on there it borders on ridiculous. I could hunt for 20 years in VA and never cover all of the ground I have marked as promising. Nothing like the excitement of a hunt for a severely afflicted turkey hunter :lol:

Fri May 03, 2013 10:35 am
King of Spring

Turkeypicker3 wrote:
Bird, if you think the scouting questions are over the top you should see my 6-ft X 10-ft Delorme topo map of half of the VA mountains...haha. It is a mosaic of probably 50 8-1/2 X 11" pages taped together with packaging tape. It has so many colors and notes from Google Earth on there it borders on ridiculous. I could hunt for 20 years in VA and never cover all of the ground I have marked as promising. Nothing like the excitement of a hunt for a severely afflicted turkey hunter :lol:

Haha my point was it varies day to day or week to week. whether openings are present, water etc. I sure would like to see that map! You can pm me the good spots.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:50 pm