View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:28 pm

1st solo hunt... 
Jake

Post 1st solo hunt...
Yesterday started out just after four with the aroma of fresh ground coffee brewing, bacon sizzling and eggs frying. Wyatt and Ewing were joined this morning by friend Alex for a morning of turkey hunting. Nolan was not hunting today as he's in PA trophy trout fishing with his friend from MD. We loaded our gear and grabbed a hot breakfast wrap heading out the door greeted by the moonlit sky around five giving us plenty of time to get to the grounds. I dropped Wyatt and Alex off @Stumblinn Farm where they would spend their morning while Ewing and I continued on to our special spot for the day. The whippoorwills were in full song from every direction as the morning grew brighter and at fifty two minutes after the hour our first gobble. We make a quick adjustment to the top of a hill for a better listen. Now we are listening to birds in three different spots. Leaves are out and the sounds are muffed as we sit between two birds wondering what to do. A shot from the west concluded that that direction was no longer an option turning our attenion to the other leaving a far bird for backup. A few minutes go by and another shot in the location of the far bird and a house dog is now upset barking at the one remaining. Wow how things can change. I needed to head to work so I discussed with Ewings his options going over the calls showing him the quick little circles needed for the yelp on the slate. He demonstrated his ablilties, put on my turkey vest and headed across a field of clover. I paused for a moment, powered up the video to capture the young hunter with the confidence to conquer the world heading on his first solo shot at a turkey. As I zoomed out... gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble. I drop the cam, quickly run to Ewing for a few last words of advise before turning for work.

Later we chatted about his morning and how the hunt unfolded. Ewing had set up on a wooded hill where he could see over a field. Hearing one over the ridge and seeing another crossing the field Ewing dicided the one in sight was his best chance. He slipped out of sight and out of the woods belly crawling his decoy to a slight rise in the field dropping back to cover and a few yelps from his call. This young jake was putting on a show for him in half strut and gobbling at any noise including the call. Now around the seventy five yard mark the bird is hung up. Strutting from side to side but not willing to come see his friend when Ewing said he booked it for cover like he'd never seen a turkey book and ending his day. This would not be the day for Ewing to fill his final tag but turned into a morning that brought a sparkle to his eye and a smile to his face.

Last edited by netman9 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:19 am
King of Spring

Post Re: 1st solo hunt...
Nice story :wink:

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

He is on his way. Good report

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 am
King of Spring

It won't be long... :D

Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:20 pm
King of Spring

Good way to pass on the legacy, cool. My son is hooked and my daughter is taking her hunter safety class this summer.

Good way to give back.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:02 am