View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:29 pm

Mixed Double 
Longbeard

Post Mixed Double
Very weird morning.
Went to a open listening post at daylight where I could hear for a good 3/4 mile in all directions and heard nothing (wind had a little east in it but was really more north, cloudy and overcast with a heavy mist).
Drove to the second place and owled and hear nothing. Blew a crow call and thought I heard a gobble. Blew it again and located the bird. The gobbler was in some woods that had been burned under in March so the ground was completely bare with just a scattering of green shoots. The woods were adjacent to a field of short mixed grasses. As I went to the bird I blew the crow call a couple of times and got responses from the gobbler on the ground, it was about 6:30.
I moved into the woods near the back corner of the field and decided to set up about 20 yards from the crest of a small rise because there was absolutely no cover and I wanted to make sure tht the gobbler was in range when he showed himself if he came in. Clucked and purred on a slate one time and put the call down. No response. After about 10 minutes I see the top half of the gobbler moving parallel to me just over the rise. He went behind a tree,I put the gun up, he stepped out, I shot and he collapsed. At the crack of the gun a second gobbler shows up and I started calling agressively with a mouth call just for fun. The first turkey flopped on the ground and the second gobbler ran to him and a third gobbler shows up. I continue to call and both living turkeys mill around about 25 yard is front of me. The turkey that I had shot dropped just out of sight over the rise and I had not heard any more flopping so I got worried that he might be crippled and be making and escape so I stood up to make sure he was still there, he was, I continued to call and the second two gobblers continued to mill around in easy killing range. After about 3 minutes of this the two living birds panic and fly up into the trees putting. I think they have seen me and get ready to go to the bird that is down when I see a coyote running directly towards me. The coyote stops at about 45 yards facing me and I decide to wait and see if it will come any closer before I take a shot. The dead turkey flops on the ground and the coyote immediatly makes a beeline towards the turkey. I rolled him at about 25 yards with hevishot #4s.
At 6:45 I had a 20.5 pound gobbler with 10.5 inch beard and 1 3/16 inch spurs on the ground and a 42 pound female coyote laying twelve steps from the gobbler. Right much excitment for my last tag.

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Mixed Double
Nice hunt, congratulations and a great double on the Yote.

Earl

Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:16 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Now that is a full day before breakfast. Congratulations

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:09 pm
King of Spring

Congrats on a fine hunt!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 pm
King of Spring

That's so cool a great way to start the day

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:40 pm
King of Spring

A very productive morning! Congrats!

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:00 pm
Longbeard

That's an amazing story. Glad you got the coyote!!!

Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 am
King of Spring

Certainly a day to remember! Great story :wink:

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Wed May 01, 2013 10:02 am
Profile WWW