View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:34 pm

East Wind? 
King of Spring

Post East Wind?
Can someone enlighten me on this East wind thing? I have heard of it many times but to be honest if I remember right in years past those are some of my better hunts. And most with some rain, not heavy but light like this morning. Thanks!

Earl

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:29 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: East Wind?
GN pointed it out on here back about 10 years ago or so.. and I have noticed that there is not as much gobbling on an East wind in clear conditions than what I would normally see on a south or north wind .. conditions the same otherwise.. He has been at this a lot longer than I have so I take what he says to heart..

But you have been at this a long time too though.. so maybe the rain is the difference.. I don't know..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

My experience is not based on Virginia on an east wind as much as elsewhere in the southeast and the rest of the country where l have spring turkey hunted. Perhaps you remember the adage"fishing the least when wind from the east,fishin the best when wind from the west"??? As far as i am concerned you can substitue the word "gobblin "for the word "fishin". In areas real close to where l live and in my experience elsewhere it seems birds simply will not gobble to anything on an east wind. . l consider it the worst possible condition for turkey hunting. One of my friends says he wont even chase women on an east wind. (I am Just reprating what he said) . Anyway l will know more about the east wind in Virginia in a few days l think. :lol:

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Last edited by Gobblenow on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:47 pm
King of Spring

Interesting. Now I will have to dig through years of notes to see how that has faired. I never really paid that much attention to it before on East vs other winds and gobbling. I just hunt every day I can and what happens, happens. I was never one that much either and watching what the pressure was doing. Although I have in my notes all the info, winds speeds/direction, sky's clear/cloudy or what, Baro pressure, temp., moon phase, gobblers with hens etc., Gobbling times.

Again interesting and will go back in my notes and see how the stars aline, so to speak. Thanks for the info.

Earl

Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:57 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
One of my friends says he wont even chase women on an east wind. :

GN, I don't even chase'm on a good wind! :D

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 pm
King of Spring

Since GN mentioned a few years ago I've been tracking it. FWIW, last Saturday both Vagrouse hunter and I were hunting in that dreaded east wind in two different areas of the state. He heard zero gobbles and I heard one. I hunt when I can hunt for sure, but gobbling sure seems to be a lot less where I hunt when the wind comes out of the east.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:57 pm
King of Spring

You guys are scaring me now. Before I leave I will be checking the wind direction and if it is east I will be bumbed out from the get go. :D

I am taking a hunter out tomorrow and if we do not hear one or not really work one I will use the east wind thing now (just hope the wind is from the east). :D

Like I said, after all these years never really gave it a second thought. But what from what you guys are saying there is a lot of merit to it. I will start paying attention to this on all further hunts and make special note of it.

Just don't pile on the moon phase and barometric pressure thing right now I will not be able to handle that. :?

Earl

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 pm
King of Spring

Looks like east wind until sun :(

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 pm
Longbeard

For what it is worth, al theold time quail hunters that I used to hunt with always said "Wind form the east kill birds the least, wind from the west kill birds the best". I still run bird dogs in the fall and the adage holds true for the most part. I am with Earl though, I go turkey hunting every time I get a chance in the spring and do not pay a lot of attention to wind direction, just speed.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 pm
King of Spring

Agree with Earl too, hunt when I can regardless, a bad day in the woods is better than....

I think that generally an east wind correlates to fowl weather. Up here we hear a lot about NorEasters and how they bring in snow and rain. So the birds just equate it to bad weather and laying low. Don't know how they equate it, but they do. Towards the coast though it seems to be less of a factor. I think east winds are more common and down near Ocean City MD they get east winds all the time off the Atlantic. I haven't noticed a change from birds.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:32 am