View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:49 am

call help 
King of Spring

Post call help
I'm new to calling on my own I have a box and a slate call, and the past two saturdays I haven't been able to call them in close. They prob had hens, and didn't care but they were answering right back. Is there anything I can use to try to convince them to come on in that I'm not doing. Maybe a wingbone or diaphragm? I know each turkey is different but any advice would be good, I'm trying to make sounds that I've heard before.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:31 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: call help
I know each turkey and situation is different, just some advice or tips would be great.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:32 pm
Boss Gobbler

Skimer...

You are probably doing everything fine. A world class caller is not going to call one away from hens very often. One thing that people tend to do a lot of is overcall to birds that are responding. If they are answering you, they know you are there. If you keep calling you are showing them you are the more interested party and they might hold their ground. Switch up calls, keep the calling to a minumum, and generally just use some yelps, clucks, and purrs... with an occasional excited 3-4 cutt in there. You'll run into one without hens soon and he will run you over! Good luck!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

If you figure it out then please share :) ..

Every turkey is different man.. some like some calls and not others .. a box and slate should do just fine and as long as you are just yelping and not over calling you should be fine, mix in some clucks and purrs to the mix.. you could go back tomorrow and have 2 or 3 in your lap that wouldn't even look your way today.. if you find the right one in the right mood you can rub two rocks together and call him in..

They most likely had hens and wanted you to come to them.. remember in nature that is what happens most of the time.. my best advice is to get as close as you dare to their roost and don't call till the touch the ground, then do a fly down cackle and just a few yelps..

Good luck

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:06 pm
King of Spring

Yea, what they said. Remember, patience is a virtue, in turkey hunting it is a neccessity! Keep it soft and infrequent. Much depends on the bird.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 am