View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:39 pm

Chickahominy WMA 
2 Year Old

Post Chickahominy WMA
I have a chance to share a hunt with my Son-Law next weekend. I live in the western end of the state , He lives in Reston , the North east . We haven't had a chance to get together sine 2005. If any of you have any experience with the Chickahominy WMA , I would appreciate any info. I have looked at satellite views , looks like I may need waders or at least high boots. The topo and habitat is 180 deg. From the ridges and mtns. I hunt. Thanks for any help.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:26 pm
Jake

Post Re: Chickahominy WMA
I hunted there for 2 years. It used to be tough hunting in there, they are public land birds and as such have heard a lot of calling. I found the hunting to be better at the pull offs closer to Rt 5. Good luck, I hope you guys get one.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:56 pm
2 Year Old

Sir, Thanks for the reply. I would , of course love to call a bird in for Him. Just the day together will be great. I am concerned with the habitat as much as anything. I assume it will be quite buggy, also I suppose there is cause for awareness of snakes. That's the pool of information I seek. Thanks

Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 pm
King of Spring

I hunted there for a number of years. Killed my first bird in those woods. If you are hunting on a Saturday...get there early. Maybe even consider a pop tent Friday night. As the other falla said check the parking areas on Dr 5 . Good luck. Tim

Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 am
King of Spring

It has been several years since I have been over there. There seemed to be a good mix of habitat, clear cutts, thick grown up areas and open hardwoods. I never got into any swamps but there are some bottoms and creeks that run into small ridges off the river but I think you can stay dry but may have to walk long way around, that is unless the birds are down in a swampy bottom. I was mostly rabbit hunting and other small game when I went.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 pm
Jake

The bugs can be bad but nothing outrageous. Since this cold snap has hit, it hasnt been much of an issue for me. The snakes are there but I never saw one. It has a main swamp running through the center but for the most part you have high ground with hardwoods. It is all flat so walking will be easy but after the last two hurricanes I am sure there will be a number of blowdowns.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm
2 Year Old

A big Thank You to each and everyone's reply. Have a good and safe season.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:25 pm