View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:38 pm

Calling technique ???? 
King of Spring

Post Calling technique ????
I know by now most of us have spent a day in the woods some of us was sucessful some not so, but I'm pretty sure its all been the same gobblers gobbling good hit the ground an shut more than likely they were hennd up. My ?????? Is how was your calling soft,hard,loud I know each gobbler is different calling it felt like I was trying to fool the hens more..

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:33 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Calling technique ????
Worked a trio of longbeards running together, did not see but one old hen with them ,did get her fired up with some cuttin,she and the gobblers were talkin sutff but we did not collect a bird. I was hitting em with hen talk and did get pretty aggressive with that hen.

Enjoy the journey & share you passion, take a Kid hunting!

Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

If I hear a hen with a gobbler I make the same call she does just to try to make her mad.
Did that yesterday and brought in 3 hens followed by 2 longbeards

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 pm
2 Year Old

In my experience less is more. But I listent to the hens to see what I should do. One thing that will fire a tom is the sound of a hen flying off the roost. Very fast high pitched cutting as the fly down. First thing in the morning that works great for getting a bird to come down in your direction. After that I just give them enough to know where I am. You really have to feel out the bird to know how fast how loud and how much. But a double call technique works well for me. If I have a bird within 100 yards I will give soft calls from both my slateand mouth call at the same time. It gives the illusion of two birds and it has closed the distance on mahy a hung up birds for me. Just takes time to learn what to do and when to do it.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:06 pm
2 Year Old

I only called maybe 4 times and never very loud or aggressive, let the rest play out and it did indeed very quickly!

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:13 pm
King of Spring

Less is more....that is..yesterday! Lol... however...when a couple of them started walkin away...very aggressive talked worked.... what caused me to be successfull..and I didn't think about it till this am...I game a series of fighting purrs...and ole boy snuck on in to investigate!! :)

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:17 pm
King of Spring

I go by feel. No other way to describe it.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:34 pm
Boss Gobbler

Sometimes Barrys technique works, and sometimes it makes them go away. Its a crapshoot, feel them out. Sometimes getting them mad works great while others calling a little is the ticket.....not a real good answer but its always a chess match.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:13 pm
King of Spring

I read each gobbler i hunt...time of season...and condition/weather....etc....KInda like turkey slayer said....If he's hot and gobbles cut me off...I'll scauld him all the way with excited cuts and yelps....If he's henned up...I read how the hens are acting/calling. Cold rainy days when turkeys don't call much...I don't call much....If the birds are educated, I call little, but with realism.....Just depends...

Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:50 pm