View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:19 am

Rough Week 
King of Spring

Post Rough Week
Found a bird on sumter national forest monday evening, went back tuesday morning, no trucks, got in there and he is where he is supposed to be and works to the call and puts on a big show at 35 yards boom and he flys away.

Had birds yesterday for NC opener but I just couldn't do anything with them, was trying to call one in for an older guy that loves to kill a turkey more than anyone I know, he just cant hear them anymore and its tough for him.

Wifes away so I lay out of church and head to nc with crossbow this morning. I literally set up in the middle of 4 gobblers, accidently, real early, all within 50 yards of me, three of them within 30 yards. I basically was froze from the first gobble till flydown. After that they all flew down away from me, and I was able to call and scratch the leaves a little. Up they come and at roughly 10 yards I let the bolt fly and he goes a flopping. I am not sure what you are supposed to do with bows and turkeys but it seems on tv they get up and run after them thats what I did. But the hills are steep, too steep for a fourwheeler. Hes not fast but I got snakeboots and am throwing my bow and vest off as I go. at the bottom of the hill he starts to flopping and I am going to get him, I'm jumping blowdowns, crashing through saplings, it must of been a thing of beauty, then I am on my face about five feet from him. Hes back up and heading up the hill and I am up after him but I am not gaining now the hills steep and then I am on my face again, I manage to stay with him to the top of the hill but then my legs just had nothing left and he is gone onto the neighbors small planted pines, briars, paths cutt and grown up fields (rabbit hunters) I look for next three hours and could not find him. I never in my life would thought I couldn't run down that turkey, I have run down a couple that were in better shape but the land was flat bottoms. I guess I can blame it on the boots, tripping but truth is I'm getting old and if that was on video it would of been embarressing.

I dont have much experience with bows and turkeys, would never use one for turkeys as I have a hard enough time over the years at the moment of truth with shotgun, but it was the only thing I could use. I had a clean pass through I am guessing maybe a little forward or low, he was strutting broadside when I shot. From the blood, the feathers and the way the turkey looked he is dead. Is it a bad idea to run after bow shot turkeys, like it would be deer? How far can a well shot turkey travel?

It really hurts to miss a bird (doubt there are very true clean misses) and it hurts worse to leave a bird in the woods you are pretty confident is dead. Not a lot of days to turkey hunt and to blow the opportunities and wound birds is deflating.

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:35 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Rough Week
The winds of turkeyhunrer fortune can turn in a hurry as you well know. Bout the time you think it cant get worse it does. Then when you think it cant better sometimes it does get better You have done so well with these critters i l suspect it is a matter of time till the breaks fall your way. Perservere.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 pm