View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:35 am

Tenn #3--another one that will hang and swing 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Tenn #3--another one that will hang and swing
thursdays must be my lucky day this year. for second thursday in a row l have managed to fool a limbhanger . i was set up with B mobile in field where i knew a single large gobbler was hanging out. been pursuing him since the season opened. bird gobbled hard on the limb, flew down with some hens maybe 65 yds away and under the edge of a hollow tree line where l could not see. , Another hen was still in a tree right near me and l though that hen had busted me from the trees early so l sort of relaxed and considered it game over when that busted hen flew down yelping loudly in the air and and sailed way off and started a long assembly yelp 140 yards away . All gobbling was silent after that and l was sitting there thinking if l should try to reposition or go home or what? After twenty minutes drinking some water, gun down, eating a cookie and of not a peep I heard a hen yelp right near where the gobbler flew down so maybe he was still there? l clucked on the old Cody slate one time and five minutes later l heard that drumming sound we all anticipate...he was close..and l dropped him when he cleared some brush. nice bird. weighed him at 20.5 but l would have guessed heavier. one spur was 1.25, other 1.375 and curved inward and needle sharp---so sharp l cut myself carrying him out. beard had one strand to 10.75. this bird had three or four solid black primary feathers and a couple of unbarred brown primaries on each wing--interestingly this place has yielded three other birds to me or Freddy in the past which had the same solid black or brown primary configuration.(two are in Freddy's Pure Turkey video, a double from another part of this same field network. ). lucky thursday. off to kentucky next

Attachments:
GN2.jpg
GN2.jpg [ 179.84 KiB | Viewed 2889 times ]
GN1.jpg
GN1.jpg [ 222.29 KiB | Viewed 2889 times ]
GN1.JPG
GN1.JPG [ 183.19 KiB | Viewed 3059 times ]
GN2.JPG
GN2.JPG [ 784.9 KiB | Viewed 3059 times ]
GN3.JPG
GN3.JPG [ 156.14 KiB | Viewed 3059 times ]

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Last edited by Gobblenow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Tenn #3--another one that will hang and swing
Wackin'em and stackin'em!

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 am
King of Spring

UTK strikes again :)

Congrats man..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 pm
King of Spring

Very nice. Congrats! Hope Ky is good to you Too! I like those dark ones for a carry wing.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:45 pm
King of Spring

Congrats Unknown, you are the man! and one single cluck?? as in one stroke and one single sound?? not a series of clucks or a purr and cluck? If so i have a lot to learn. With all the sounds in the woods by mid morning a single cluck just would not seem like enough to me for a turkey to even be able to distinguish that noise from any other.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:55 pm
King of Spring

Congrads Gn you are on a roll now!

Doug

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:33 pm
Boss Gobbler

GN great job, Congrats. If you are asking for sympathy to your cut, youll get none here...LOL :lol:

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:55 pm
King of Spring

Gonna be a short season if you keep this pace up.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:06 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

BMeat--this bird has heard every call i know how to make, and more importantly, so have his hens. having watched them turn and walk away with about any call l made earlier in the year,well, l decided less would be more this day lt has been that kind of year. virtually no calling by hens or gobblers on the ground after assembly. once the gobbler sees b mobile it is strictly a visualyll driven decision for the gobbler. l think once he sees the full strut decoy you just watch how he reacts and you will know what is like y to happen. l was just trying to keep the hen from walking him away before he saw B. if you have ever read any of the knight hale seasonal calling advice they think heavily henned birds are most effectively hunted with minimal calling...l think they are spot on . l am not a great caller anyway so any excuse not to call suits me.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:15 pm
King of Spring

What? No pics of the spurs?

"heavily henned birds are most effectively hunted with minimal calling"
That's bad news for me!

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:40 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Freddy will post the spur pics when he gets around to it. Hebis finding Abby another turkey i hope. First things first. ;)

- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:46 pm
Jake

Very Nice Bird! I may have given up after the thought of being busted and repositioned. Way to stick it out. The wing is vey cool.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrats on a nice bird and intense hunt. Over the last few years I swear by just that one or 2 clucks. Just hard to bring one to use just that and shut up.

Earl

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:24 pm
King of Spring

Good to see you are up to the normal stuff this time of year!

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Knew it would be a matter of short time before bird #3 was swinging and a very nice one to boot! Congrats and High Fives all around!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:07 am
Profile YIM