View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:53 pm

Patience! 
King of Spring

Post Patience!
Took my son out for his first ever turkey youth day. Scouted Friday night and had a couple birds located and approximate roost area Friday. Took a blind out that night and stuck it on a point. Next morning we got into the blind before 5 and had the dekes at around 20 yards. Light came and we heard some roost gobbling. Then it all quit around 0620. We sit until 0730 and talk. He wants to go and try and strike a bird and I agree. We get out of the blind and he heads towards the decoys. I try to catch him and look left when I do, 4 turkeys about 60 yards from our dekes. Ouch! Game is up, they see us and leave.

When will I learn. I think there were a couple jakes in the group and they probably would have come in if it weren't for the B-Mobile right there. I was very disappointed for him. But we agreed there would be many more days to hunt.

I know many of you have great luck with full strut decoys, but I never have. I'm thinking about selling the dag gone thing and going back to a jake decoy.

Oh well, maybe one day I will learn patience! A hard feet for a run and gun kind of guy.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:19 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Patience!
I busted one of a roost this morning at 610. Was making a beeline to the first gobbling bird I heard. No doubt if I had set tight another ten minutes this bird would have sounded off and he was well within working distance (maybe roosted a 100 yards away). Have to learn not to run to the first bird I hear, because there in many cases are other birds out there as well. In other words I need to show a bit more patience myself.

Regarding strutting dekes, I know its hurt me more then it has helped me. I think its because I don't live in a turkey rich area and therefore there's not that much competition. Once the boss bird established his dominance he seems quite content just to hang with the hens with him and not be concerned about another gobbler with another hen on the hill, and the subdominate birds wouldn't dream of going up to that strutting decoy in the area I hunt most of the time.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 am