View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 5:40 am

This morning...Skunked!! 
Poult

Post This morning...Skunked!!
I got me a bird the first day so I invited my ole bud Cody to come with me this morning to see what I could bring in for him. I roosted this bird yesterday evening down in a bottom that is butted up to a big swamp. I always love hearing one gobble in that area because its usually a guaranteed kill. The place where he was roosted up near is surrounded on three sides by swamp and water so I knew it won't but one way out and so we would be waiting right at his front door. Well like I said before, I roosted this turkey yesterday even and only heard this one turkey gobbling. Well this morning we start down the ridge to the bottom and he cuts loose, Man was I excited. I was like YES, this is gonna turn out perfect because he is right where I thought he was. Right after hearing his second gobble another one struck out a gobble only 75 yards ahead, at the exact spot where I need to set up to make things happen. We readjusted out game plan and couldn't get in close as we wanted. Where we had to set up was some what thicker than I liked but it would do. Well I talked to em up the tree wit some soft clucks and purrs for about twenty mins and gave it a rest. Then I hit the fly down cackle and they went crazy. They flew down very shortly after and was coming straight to us. I really had to pull em with some aggressive calling though because we were in the thicker part of the woods and they wanted to walk that open bottom fifty yards ahead(wish we could have made it to that opening without the closer one seeing us off the roost). One gobbler just disappears and we never hear him again. But the other one the one that I had roosted was still interested in my calling. We get to lay eyes about 40 yards but Cody just couldn't get a good shot so he decided to hold off. I threw a few cuts at him and he nailed hit hard so I decided to lay off the call for about ten mins i just knew he was coming in. Well after about ten mins or so I hit the call cuz he had been quiet for awhile and I never heard him again. On the way out the farm we look in the field that is butted right to the piece of woods that were hunting and see a two strutters and ten hens. Had to be the same turkeys. That's why its called turkey hunting and not turkey killing. Hope everyone is having luck!

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:59 am