View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:36 am

from the woods...update......... 
King of Spring

Post from the woods...update.........
I'm bored out of my skull!!!! I haven't heard hardly anything except maybe a couple of jakes a few thousand yards away..( the reason a say jakes, they had a jacked up gobble, I couldn't help but laugh). Saw one hen.... the turkey I was soooooo excited about this am.. is no where to be heard or found! No idea where he went.... I hope you guys are having better luck, because I'm almost ready to go on in! And its only 8 15! Sheeeesh!!

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 am
King of Spring

Post Re: from the woods...update.........
I'm right there with you man. I got to my spot extra early this morning and got set up in the corner of the field with my decoys out right where I know a gobbler is roosted. About 20 mins before daylight I saw a flashlight coming up the edge of the field. I was going to let him know I was here but he cut ino the woods right toward the gobbler about 80 yards away down the field. I don't even know if this guy has permission to hunt here but I know who it was and I'm going to ask the landowner. Instead of chasing him down and confronting him I grabbed my decoys and hiked about a quarter mile across the field to another place I had heard a gobbler Wednesday morning. Sure enough daylight came and not a peep near me but I could hear that gobbler where I was originally set up gobbling his head off. Then at about 6:45 I heard the shot. About 10 mins later I heard another hunter shoot over on the next property. Great. I knew there were 2 longbeards in here and I believe that both are dead before 7 am on opening day. I'm still sitting here though hoping one will magically appear.

Ryan

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:02 am
King of Spring

Opening day, and already extremely disappointed!! I gotta admit, I had my hopes up for this morning! And to top it off, I am not gonna be able to hunt for the entire first week, things have all of a sudden came up where my priorities have to come first! Uuuggghhhhh!! That's turkey hunting I guess!

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:42 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Hang in there guys. Patience and persistence usually yields birds.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:27 pm
King of Spring

Had two jakes come in with two hens to within 7 yards. The bad thing is they were so close and looking my ground blind over that I couldn't call to the longbeard who showed up behind me in another field about 70 yards away. He gobbled about 7 times and then moved on. Ten minutes later the Jakes and hen's were gone. Never saw or heard another thing after that. Hitting some different country early next week. Will plan on hitting this farm again next weekend. Changing my set-up just a tad so I can cover both fields at the same time. Will certainly have to keep my head on a swivel for sure.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:01 pm
King of Spring

For the first time ever on opening day I heard zero gobbles. Two weeks ago I heard 4 different gobblers on this place. It's frustrating but it is still great to be in the woods.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:03 pm
King of Spring

There with you. Others had a great day at the Q. I will be back there Monday with a friend to maybe double team them.

Earl

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:44 pm
Poult

I also didn't hear a peep where I went today. Onto new pastures later this week.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:10 pm
King of Spring

Heard pleanty...had one at 40 and couldn't get a clear shot...and later in the morning had one on a string coming down a field edge and someone pulled off the main road to watch him and he spooked....That was my morning

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:05 am
2 Year Old

was dead silent for me to...earlier in the week had roosted a bird that gobbled his head off in the evening...was looking forward to an exciting opening day. :cry:

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:53 am