View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:19 am

The roost 
King of Spring

Post The roost
Got some birds that haven't roosted in the same area yet been to this spot five mornings and they change areas everyday the good thing they haven't left the property i can hunt. I got a friend who swears they roost in the same tree every night me i beg to differ i think they try to get the jump on food hens an water which water isn't a problem here it's standing water everywhere mostly hens an food. But i've got the ace in the hole there a farm road the splits the property with a ton of drag marks up an down it.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 pm
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: The roost
Hens hens hens. Food is an after thought. They can eat in june. Or for twn months thereafter. I think theu gnerally like the same trees o r geoup of teees until something bothers them there . Then they move to similar trees

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:36 pm
King of Spring

Yea depends how much they are disturbed, depending time of year. Also food water is a factor. Now that also depends on where you hunt. In Texas where I hunted I have seen 30 birds in one roost tree every night. In the Black hills I have seen piles of droppings under one tree.

Other parts like here no real set roost trees. But usally within the same general location.

Earl

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:43 pm
King of Spring

As GN said, follow the hens. Same reason they have Lady's night and not Men's night. Men will go to where the ladies are, period.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:12 am
King of Spring

I wish it was like that were playing ball with a smart bird here as long as i've been huntin them the girls seek the men only the boys show up to the callin i have had more shoulda coulda woulda days then i have kills. I bet i've killed more two year olds to come to callin and the ole men i have to ambush hardly no callin an alot of sittn still waiting patince is what i was told by this ole fella who first took me turkey huntin he's long gone now but every big bird i kill i think of him..

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:08 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

beardbuster84 wrote:
I wish it was like that were playing ball with a smart bird here as long as i've been huntin them the girls seek the men only the boys show up to the callin i have had more shoulda coulda woulda days then i have kills. I bet i've killed more two year olds to come to callin and the ole men i have to ambush hardly no callin an alot of sittn still waiting patince is what i was told by this ole fella who first took me turkey huntin he's long gone now but every big bird i kill i think of him..

Not surprising given the reported turkey densities up that way, but this is a new season and hens may get as scarce as their teeth in a couple more weeks. Could be some longer spurs in your future.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:42 pm