View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:23 pm

Where to hunt? 
Poult

Post Where to hunt?
I've only been in the area for a couple of years and am having some problems making connections in my area to locate some land to hunt on. I am active duty stationed at Dahlgren and would love to spend all day knockin' on doors and offering up free labor to trade for the right to hunt....but uncle Sam keeps me a little busy....any thoughts?

Thanks fellas,
J

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Where to hunt?
Well being active duty, first thank for your service.

Now depending on where you live, and since you been in the area 2 years I am sure you know of Fort AP Hill and Marine Corps Base Quantico.

And going by your handle you are a bow hunter. The Q has 9 bow only hunting areas and the Hill I believe has 2.

Earl

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:31 pm
King of Spring

Dahlgren is not to far from me do you stay on base?? I know they have some awesome deer hunting in the fall my father in law hunts dahlgren base. I would check out the pumpkin neck side of the base i would love to turkey hunt that myself?? I have a few small parcels in King George there to hunt, my only problem is works got almost 7 days a week 8 if i'd let em..

Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 am
Profile YIM
Poult

Thanks for the info guys, I do hunt on Dahlgren base, which is awesome because I live on base as well, but there are some awesome farms in the surrounding area that I would love to get a chance at. The environmentalist that runs the hunting program on base does an awesome job, but the areas that we are limited to hunt on are a little small for my taste. I grew up in southern Colorado and I like covering a lot of ground. @Beardbuster I haven't tried PN yet, but as long as I can get some time out of the office, I will make it over there and guests are authorized. Let me know if you want to get together.

I love reading through this forum...lots of good info!

J

Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:48 am
2 Year Old

Im thinking he was looking more for a invite :wink:

Me , my wife, and my son were in the USMC... Im still hunting heavily pressured gobblers on heavily hunted public land...

I may have to try that :wink:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:28 pm
Longbeard

Good luck on finding private land in KG County, hunt clubs have most of the private land locked up. Fort AP Hill is only 1/2 hour down the road, plenty of land and turkeys there. I work on Dahlgren also, hit me up if you want more info on APH.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:50 pm