View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:14 pm

License Cost 
King of Spring

Post License Cost
Have just been reading MD HB 1419. They are going to raise hunting license fees by about 100%. I should have known this was coming since VA raise their fees a year or so ago. This is causing a pretty big ruckus up here but I don't remember hearing too much from you all when it happened to you. I begrudging support this increase because DNR is broke. I did send a comment to some legislators asking why they don't get moneys from other who use the same land as hunters and such. For those of you who are Nonresident hunters of MD be aware they are hitting you even harder. It will be $250 to $300 for you to hunt.

Question: Do you think that raising the fees is going to push more people out of hunting?

Question: Do you think raising fees will push hunting into the realms of the rich and take it away from the common man?

Just curious.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 am
King of Spring

Post Re: License Cost
One can only image where it is heading. 50% of my out of State hunts have been where you can hunt turkey also in the fall. The others States that allow no fall hunting I rotate. What has helped me on out of State hunts is the friends I have in other States or mainly public land hunting with some good camp sites, showers and all.

Lic. are a major cost over the last 10 years. I remember a GA Lic for out of State turkey spring hunt was only $35 and then $5 for a WMA stamp.

I think Mississippi just went up to $325 for non-resident.

I know my cigar budget is getting smaller do to subsidizing my Lic.

Earl

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 pm
King of Spring

Wow . $325 for MS.. I thought TN was bad ..

I have an in on a place in MS .. just got it a couple months ago.. I was thinking about planning a trip in Spring 13 .. but man I didn't know the out of state License was that much..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 pm
King of Spring

I just looked on MS website .. you can get away cheaper .. yes the NR all year hunting is $325 .. but if you buy the 7 day all game it is $125 and then the Turkey permit is $20 .. so $145 total I think..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:01 pm
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
I just looked on MS website .. you can get away cheaper .. yes the NR all year hunting is $325 .. but if you buy the 7 day all game it is $125 and then the Turkey permit is $20 .. so $145 total I think..

Thanks for the 7 day hunt info.

I know what you mean about TN what is it now $251 + $25 for a Ft. Campbell permit but worth it for the quality hunting they have there spring and fall.

Looks like NY, TX, GA, SD, AL and PA are still holding their own. Afraid to check any others.

Looks like I saved some this spring though due to personnal and WORK commitments. Well that savings will at least help my cigar budget some.

But I am sure it will be going up in the near future.

Earl

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:44 pm
King of Spring

Vic,

I just saw on another site that the DNR has relaxed the increase a bit in their latest proposal. Instead of a 100% increase it looks like the outcry has gotten it back to a 50% increase, depending on what all one hunts. So long as the money goes to the DNR and their programs I can live with that latest proposal.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:11 pm
King of Spring

Unfortunately these days its not just the license increase that's hurting; its the increased gas costs and resulting increase in everything else (i.e., food, lodging, etc.). I used to hunt 3-5 states each spring, but its getting a bit pricey, not to mention I take my son as well which means additional license, food, etc. I'm not complaining because I enjoy every minute of it and feel it is worth every cent, especially the time spent with my son, but everything combined does result in a smaller available budget and the potential for reduced opportunities.

So I think the answer to your first question is yes, it may push more people out of traveling to other states, or at least significantly decrease the extent to which one person can do so.

Regarding your second question I think the answer is no because if you like something enough you always find a way. But of course a person may have to limit how much they do.

Like you I support the state agencies and their need for funds, but I worry about the extent to which some states are taking this. I was already paying $100+ for a non-resident MD license for my son, plus $200 for me; if that doubles to $600 for both of us all I can say is "OUCH!" Throw VA, WV, and PA licenses on top of that and we're talking a noteworthy expense.

I was feeling good about the weather today but now my mood has dropped. :(

-Eric

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:37 pm
King of Spring

So long as the money goes to the DNR and their programs I can live with that latest proposal.

BM I totally agree with that.

Eric I know what you are saying not just about the weather but yes I am too looking at cutting back on my out of State hunts. I got 5 grandkids that are going to start here in another year or 2 with the oldest and then 3-4 years for the others.

Since the son and daughter do not hunt any more they and the wife and grandkids enjoy camping in the wifes pull behind 32' camper. So the hunting cost for the grandkids will be on yes, my cigar budget. But well worth it.

Earl

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:57 pm
Jake

what is VA for non residents now.?

thanks

Charlie

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:46 pm
King of Spring

crsides wrote:
what is VA for non residents now.?

thanks

Charlie

NR = $197 for a year
They have a 3 day for $171

Here is their web page:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re ... censes.asp

Earl

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:40 pm
King of Spring

90 bucks gets you a non-resident permit in Nebraska which allows you to take one bird. You may buy up to three permits.

That's pretty pricey but it's a steal when you compare it to some other forms of entertainment such as going to a pro football, basketball or hockey game.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:33 am
Boss Gobbler

vagrousehunter... I think you also have to buy a $20 habitat stamp in NE... Still a pretty good bargain though... :)

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:09 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

BM,

It is my understanding that the money goes into the general fund like all the rest. Who knows where it will end up, down town Baltimore. Since you live out west you may not have been tied up in the brouhaha about tolls increases. They said it was for bridge upkeep and such, but really it was to recover from the huge MTA outlay for new toll roads and such. MTA invested money in the new 10 mile stretch from Harford county into the city. I think it has like a $5 toll once complete. They put out 200 million of reserve funds for this project and haven't seen any return on their investment. So now they need our money to recover.

I too have no problem if the money stays in DNR, but we will have to see where it does go.

I wonder when the populace at large will say they have had enough. I see a lot of civil unrest, might be an interesting election this year.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:23 am
King of Spring

Freddy wrote:
vagrousehunter... I think you also have to buy a $20 habitat stamp in NE... Still a pretty good bargain though... :)

I forgot to mention the 20 bucks for the habitat stamp. :oops:

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 am
King of Spring

That is high. I quit hunting Tennessee when they went from $160 to $270 or whatever it is now and opening the season a week later. If they still opened 2 weeks before us tho I would prob pay it. They did just add a fee to horse back riders to use the national forest. About time!

Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:48 am