View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:26 am

Well 
King of Spring

Post Well
although I could not make the south Florida opener yesterday my friend that lives down there got out. I had to cancel my trip down there this year due to a death in the family this past week.

Got off of work this morning and headed out to listen, got to my first LP and heard one. At my third LP heard one. So a good morning, picked my spirits up some.

Home now down in the turkey man cave room putting some paste wax on my box and trumpet callers. After that I got 2 boxes of light field loads I will head out back and shoot a box each through both turkey guns in different positions, standing, sitting, kneeling, prone, twisted etc.

More bad news, the plant where I work is having and outage from 24 March through 12 April which means I will not be making my regular trip to GA and SC.

The good thing is work said they will give the youth day off here and even if the outage is not over on the 12th I will be able to make the opener here in VA.

Earl

Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Well
I don't start scouting until March 15th every year.. but good to hear that some are sounding off already .. you must be more eat up with it than I am :) good luck this spring..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:43 am
Poult

Found some birds next door, 4 mornings I have been there, two mornings I have seen roosting birds. Have not heard a sound. Too early for gobbling?

Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:37 pm
King of Spring

maycraft19 wrote:
Found some birds next door, 4 mornings I have been there, two mornings I have seen roosting birds. Have not heard a sound. Too early for gobbling?

Well sounds like you don't have far to go to get a bird, thats good.

Never to early for gobbling. This year myself and others heard more gobbling throughout the fall/winter season then we can remember. Although it never really cranks up till around the middle of March. We are seeing longbeards and jakes still grouped up. Although I have seen struting by 2 birds but no hens around. In fact all we are seeing right now are gobblers.

Earl

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:11 pm
King of Spring

Here in eastern va. were i stay birds seem to be breaking into smaller flocks saw a gobbler yesterday with seven hens and two jakes, also in another field about a mile or two down the road was two longbeards with about ten hens one of them was strutting, went to listen this morning but the wind was blowing about 15 to 20 out the NE not a good morning here..

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:18 pm
Profile YIM