View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:24 am

MAGNUM BLEND SHELLS GOING UP $$$ 
King of Spring

Post MAGNUM BLEND SHELLS GOING UP $$$
Take a look at Sprtsman's Guide's prices on Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend shells.

NO JOKE OVER $50.00 FOR A BOX OF 5 :smt005

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ ... x?a=881961

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:48 pm
2 Year Old

Post Re: MAGNUM BLEND SHELLS GOING UP $$$
Damn... Glad i didnt let the ones i have go for 20 a box like i planed...

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:25 pm
Longbeard

Just bought 2 boxes of 3.5 for 24.99 yesterday at Gander Mtn.

3 inch is 19.99

just checked bass pro and cabelas are the same

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:01 pm
Poult

I saw some of those locally for a good price.

Have they been patterning good for some of you guys?

PS...Hello from a new member from southwest VA.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:34 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Heres a suggestion. Shoot those 3 in federals u just bought. There are 70 of them. U already own them so no more cas h outlays. At three gobblers a year u have 23 years worth of spring birds in Va. And an extra shell in case u missed once I have shot that exact three in shell or the 3 in winchester in a 1 3/4 oz load for the last four decades. I feel like They are all the shell i need if i do what i should do. I messed around intermittently with a nef ten guage single shot for some years and still carry-shoot it some days -just for kicks(ha)- but in truth it is overkill. Imo. Just a thought.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:15 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Heres a suggestion. Shoot those 3 in federals u just bought. There are 70 of them. U already own them so no more cas h outlays. At three gobblers a year u have 23 years worth of spring birds in Va. And an extra shell in case u missed once I have shot that exact three in shell or the 3 in winchester in a 1 3/4 oz load for the last four decades. I feel like They are all the shell i need if i do what i should do. I messed around intermittently with a nef ten guage single shot for some years and still carry-shoot it some days -just for kicks(ha)- but in truth it is overkill. Imo. Just a thought.

I agree! I jumped on the HTL bandwagon a few years ago but have since come to my senses. Fortunately I have not spent my life savings on these loads and have gone back to shooting lead loads after seeing the prices increase so drastically. 40 yards always has and always should be the benchmark for maximum range of shooting at a turkey with a shotgun. We as hunters have become obsessed with bigger and better, we forget we were killing turkeys just as good prior to Hevi-Shot hitting the market in 2000. My 2 cents!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:27 pm
King of Spring

I think prior to the Heavier then lead revolution, I shot a Benelli SBE with a Comp-n-choke .655 choke tube. The load of choice was the 3.5" Size 5 Winchester HV shell. Had zero problems in getting that gun to put well over 100 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Never shot a bird I didn't get, but in reality I don't think any of them were at 40 yards. Most were at about 20 yards. I still have that choke tube and there are probably still some of those shells laying around somewhere at the house. Be interesting to dust off that choke tube and some of those old shells and see whether there's a need for anything else.

PS. I'm giving very serious thought to just going to an old side by side and shoot lead 2 3/4" shells this year as my primary gun to start the season. I can always go to the cannon if it turns out the birds are decoy shy, call shy and like to sit out in the middle of the Alfalfa field and laugh at me. :?

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:40 pm
King of Spring

Only thing I shoot is lead, Winchester HV 3". I am looking at tungsten super shot for use in my .410 for my son who is 8. I don't want to knock him around too much and with TSS it is still a viable load.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 am
2 Year Old

Gobblenow wrote:

I have a NEF 10ga also... It has the old Mossy Oak Bottomland pattern on it... I shoot a Tru Glo Strutt Stopper choke and with Win HV #4's it will destroy a gobbler at 40 yards... Is a heavy son of a gun thow!!! I took it to a gun smith and for 20 bucks he drilled and tapped the barrel a little closer to the reciever and put a extended weaver base on it and now the scope sits right over the chamber... Great back up gun for sure!!!

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 pm
Longbeard

Cabelas has them at a good price right now. Here is the link. I just bought 4 boxes of the 20ga.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hevi-Sho ... l+Products

Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:55 pm
King of Spring

I was shooting lead up till about 3 years ago. Shot doubles most all my years with the exception of the last 2. In 1986 I bought an 870 Wingmaster that I still use today. Two years ago bought a 870 Super Mag. Never thought I would convert to HTL myself but seen the impact and results it had on birds at 40 yards and closer.

I have been using the Win. X-tended Range.

Yes the price is a bit high but the results are well worth it.

The only problem I have myself with HTL or the TSS is that with the guns, shells, wades, choke tubes is that a lot of folks think then they have a 50,60 and yes I heard 70 yard guns.

I only looked at it as a more effecient way of making a more effective cleaner quicker humane kill. But dead is dead with or without lead.

Unfortionately I think with all the EPA rules and regulations that lead shot may soon be a thing of the past.

So yes I got sucked up into the HTL thing and the GPS thing only 3 years ago also. Only had a cell phone for 5 years and this year the grankids talked me into a i-Phone.

I would still be carrying my doubles (Fox and LC) but both need some work on them that I have not got around to getting fixed.

It all boiles down to what one feels comfortable with shooting efficiently and proficiently.

Earl

Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:57 pm
2 Year Old

Depending on how long they last I have enough Win HV rounds to last me a life time!!!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 pm
Poult

what about reloading? I have done rifle and pistol but never shotgun. Seems like a possible alternative. How much does a Dillon single shotgun press cost?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:38 pm