View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:22 pm

Mild Winter equals What?? 
King of Spring

Post Mild Winter equals What??
If winter continues being so mild will it mean turkey's will start the breeding cycle early and have a peak breeding early than what the DGIF has predicted with the way our hunting season falls. Or does it all happen on moon phases like deer how does that work, thought maybe weather and tempature played a roll in turkey's breeding cycle???

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Mild Winter equals What??
I believe daylight hours have more to do with it than anything for the Hens.. but the Gobblers will start Gobbling earlier if this weather keeps up .. just won't have much affect on the hens coming to them until they are ready in my opinion ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 pm
Boss Gobbler

+1 to WVBOY's statement...

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Big difference will be vegetation stages when seasons open. Unless cold sets in for a spell it will be an early green spring. Course I expect a march and April snow. It always seems to happen that way.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:32 pm
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
Big difference will be vegetation stages when seasons open. Unless cold sets in for a spell it will be an early green spring. Course I expect a march and April snow. It always seems to happen that way.

A fear of mine as well which would play hell with fruit and mast crops. I would be happy to see some seasonable temps for a while and a "normal" spring.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 pm
King of Spring

WVBOY wrote:
I believe daylight hours have more to do with it than anything for the Hens.. but the Gobblers will start Gobbling earlier if this weather keeps up .. just won't have much affect on the hens coming to them until they are ready in my opinion ..

How really so daylight when florida's turkey season starts early march late february they have the same daylight hours as us???

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:08 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I think WVB is correct, photoperiod, or length of daylight is what triggers the rut in deer and turkey breeding. So warm will only have a very minor effect on the start of breeding. It will, as GN says, mean an early green up which means tougher seeing them. Could also mean better survival rates too, but that is mostly is driven by the amount of rain.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 am
King of Spring

I don't know why some states start in early to mid march, in my oppinion most of the toms killed in those states that early have not bred the first hen yet.. my guess is most toms are gobbling hard because of the warmer weather they get.. but the hens are still not ready and won't get bred until closer to April.. you can still kill birds though as you can always find Toms willing to come to a call if they are in the mood..

I'm not complaining about those early starts for the southern states.. I will be going early to Florida one of these days myself.. I just don't think biologically the toms are breeding yet..

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:17 am
Jake

since there hasn't been a hard snow , does that mean the turkeys beards might be longer? from what i heard there beard will drag the snow and freeze then break off ? is this accurate or was some guy just acting like he knew everything haha

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:55 am
King of Spring

I don't think VA ever gets enough snow or cold weather for that to be an issue ever .. that might happen up in the northern states but not here .. normal wear and tear on a beard will keep any of them from getting longer than 10 or 11 inches depending on the height of the Tom .. northern states average more like 8 to 9 inch beards I believe because of the elements you mentioned..

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:19 pm
Jake

thats good to know! thanks!

Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:05 pm
King of Spring

Saw a big flock of birds yesterday in field in king george co. with two birds puffed up it was about 1o'clock went out this morning an listen for them to gobble but nothing..

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:13 am
Profile YIM