View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:51 am

GAME WARDENS 
King of Spring

Post GAME WARDENS
This intrested me considering i live in westmoreland and did get checked twice in the same day, an when i mean checked it was search in seizure!! What's yall's thoughts on this matter :?:

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/newsdes ... -officers/

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:45 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: GAME WARDENS
wow... i have never been checked. they need to get that corrected. you know there was a problem, cause the game warden was transferred. he was in the wrong and they not it..good luck with this and keep us informed..thanks denny

Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49 am
Profile YIM
Jake

What did he seize? Was there any citation or receipt given?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 pm
King of Spring

Sounds like he's got an axe to grind.

If individual wardens are acting inappropriately, that should be handled on a case by case basis. If his district is getting special attention, maybe there are certain problems in that district that warrant it.

If Game Wardens are going to enforce the law, they need full police powers.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

:wink:

Last edited by barry on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:48 pm
King of Spring

Just a few years back up in Maine the State Troopers had the wardens help them in road checks..lic, etc, etc...the wardens treated all cars they walked up to as if the people were crooks...The Troopers didn't want that to happen and decided they didn't want the wardens to help anymore..so now they don't...some wardens can be total jerks for sure....

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:43 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Last edited by barry on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:04 am
King of Spring

Back in september me and sum buddy's were down on the river fishing and few of them were drinking some beers well instead of littering they were throwing the cans in the back of my truck, well when the game wardens were here given out tickets they cited me for having open container of alcohol(mind you it was empty in the back of my truck been there for months)while participating on the hunt :x . Go to court next week on it.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Last edited by barry on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:23 pm
King of Spring

I know a guy who was mowing grass on his 5 acre's..a game warden who lived down the hill from him came up and made him pour his beer out...said it didn't look good for him to be doing that..and if he saw him doing it again...he would write him a ticket....I would have told him just send me a bill after grass time was over.... that was even before they became CPO's....he is still a #1 jerk here in this county...

Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:00 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Last edited by barry on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 pm
Boss Gobbler

There are people in every profession that reflect poorly on their profession. There are some professions where the stories are always given some extra fuel as the story goes from one person to the next also.

While we are talking about "wardens" I could tell you about a few I have known through out the years. Or I could show you the 9 that laid down their lives for all of us.....

http://www.odmp.org/agency/4052-virgini ... s-virginia

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

I had a near run in with a warden on opening day of archery season this year. I parked at the bottom of our private property with my dad and little brother and my wife. We geared up for the walk in and hiked about 3/4 of a mile up the logging road to where we split to go to out stands. I get 35 yards from my dads ground blind and see a reflector of a vehicle. It turned out to be a wardens truck parked in the woods right behind our stand. We had done nothing wrong on our property and assume that he was monitoring the land behind us, but it was pretty messed up that he drove in on our land and then parked where he did. I understand that they have a job to do and they have a lot of freedoms as to where and when they can go, but how can they justify going in on someone else's property in order to check on neighboring places? I would have talked to the guy to see what was going on, but even 45 minutes before sun up, he was nowhere to be found. It ruined our morning and I went home to cut the grass.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:38 am
King of Spring

I'm glad TScott posted up as he did. Been watching this thread for a little while and it does appear that we are bashing wardens in general. In EVERY profession, there are good and bad apples. It's easy to be a sideline coach, but many when asked to step to the court suddenly get cold feet. Wardens have a tough, tough job. They must balance the laws they are sworn to uphold with common sense without abusing the power they are given. Many things appear to be something they are not. We all have "negative" stories we've either experienced or heard, but what about all the times that things weren't so "negative". Don't see much being posted about a warden simply doing their job and doing it well. And as TScott so readiy pointed out, many have given their lives in the course of their job!

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:55 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

afmalinois wrote:
I had a near run in with a warden on opening day of archery season this year. I parked at the bottom of our private property with my dad and little brother and my wife. We geared up for the walk in and hiked about 3/4 of a mile up the logging road to where we split to go to out stands. I get 35 yards from my dads ground blind and see a reflector of a vehicle. It turned out to be a wardens truck parked in the woods right behind our stand. We had done nothing wrong on our property and assume that he was monitoring the land behind us, but it was pretty messed up that he drove in on our land and then parked where he did. I understand that they have a job to do and they have a lot of freedoms as to where and when they can go, but how can they justify going in on someone else's property in order to check on neighboring places? I would have talked to the guy to see what was going on, but even 45 minutes before sun up, he was nowhere to be found. It ruined our morning and I went home to cut the grass.

Every law enforcement officer studies in college and/or the police academy about Open Fields Doctrine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_fields_doctrine

It does stink that it ruined your hunt but any law enforcement officer can go onto your "open fields". Maybe try and get and with the Officer and see if you can help him out with any illegal activity that he is concerned about on the property next to yours.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:00 am
Profile WWW