View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:55 pm

for those who don't hunt VA turkeys in the fall 

how many turkeys in VA did you kill on average the last 2 springs?
0 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
.5 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
1 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
1.5 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
2 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
2.5 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
3 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 24

for those who don't hunt VA turkeys in the fall 
King of Spring

Post for those who don't hunt VA turkeys in the fall
It seems like folks that frequent this board are very hesitant to use any turkey tags in the fall. That brings to mind a question -- are folks saving their tags for spring and then end up not using them?

The studies I've seen in SC and NC show that about 5% of the hunters kill about 25% of the harvest. Maybe this board represents the 5% more or less...

So, it would be interesting to see how many folks who don't turkey hunt in VA during the fall are tagging out most springs. Here's a poll for those who don't turkey hunt in the fall in VA.

How many turkeys have you killed on average the last 2 springs?

Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: for those who don't hunt VA turkeys in the fall
I got started on fall turkey hunting, I do hunt them fall birds and have been for 25 years. I tagged 2 birds this fall and most years i do get 1 young bird . Spring or fall hunt, Gobbler or hens, its a bird and i'm hunting them and i dont mind burning a tag or two in the fall. I have killed some nice gobblers in the fall but most are young birds.

I do fall hunt so i cant vote ...........BUT if i could vote it would be 1.5 per. year in the spring :mrgreen:

brian

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:58 pm
King of Spring

I like to save my tags .. but probably more than anything it is because I just would rather be up a tree in the fall .. I used to love to Fall hunt with my Dog when I was a teenager .. but I just don't do it much anymore.. I like to hear them gobble too much..

I have averaged 2.5 per spring over the last two..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:06 pm
King of Spring

Last 2 years I have used all 3 tags in each spring. You never know, I have some years where I am lucky to get one.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:59 pm
King of Spring

It looks like a lot of tags are saved for the spring and then not used.

1.3 turkeys killed in the spring on average by those that save their tags by not hunting in the fall.

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:36 am
Profile WWW
Poult

I love the fall hunt because I enjoy being in the woods with my dogs. I have 5 turkey dogs and my problem is not enough season or tags. Although we did pick up 2 more weeks this year in January. I do like to hear them gobble in the spring time.

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:37 pm
Longbeard

I normally don't use my fall tag either. Just somethign about Gobbles echoing in the valleys that gets me everytime. I usually kill 2 to 3 birds every year. Just depends on what I'm seeing and hearing determines on how much effort I put in.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00 am
King of Spring

During the fall I think more about Grouse and Deer (more Grouse then deer). Then I think about ducks. Then I think why shoot a hen because where I hunt there aren't that many turkey's around. Then I think a Jake is next years 2 year old. Anyway, I think given the lack of real bird numbers where I hunt, I just focus my attention of the things that scream fall to me and turkey hunting doesn't scream as loud as other things.

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:18 pm
King of Spring

I'm getting where it's hard for me to want to hunt anything else but turkeys, fall or spring.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

I have limited myself to one in the fall. The last two springs I have killed two per spring, one a tag out (with fall bird) and one an unfilled tag (no fall bird). I enjoyed the fall hunting so much this year that I may raise the fall quota next year. I have found a couple of youngsters to take in the spring, and that will take the sting out of tagging out. What I would really like to see is for the turkey season to consist of spring then fall, rather than fall then spring, so you could use fall for unfilled tags. Maybe this would lead to too many fall kills though.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:37 pm
King of Spring

WV is like that.. you can use unfilled tags from the Spring in the fall.. because their license year conincides with the calendar year instead.. I like that better than the way VA does it .. one of the few things I like better..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:12 am