View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:02 pm

Doubled UP IN New York 
Longbeard

Post Doubled UP IN New York
This week has been awesome. I have a whole write up but I do not want to bore you guys. This all happened on the 4th day day of my hunt. Weather was crappy it snowed the first three day and it was COLD. The mornings were in the high 20's and wind for the first two days. This was a great way to bring the season to a close.

Set up in the field were we have been seeing the bird strutting around 8 am. ffor the prevoius two days. We build a blind the last time we were there. We put the decoys out three of them 2 hens and a Jake. We used the Buckwing Jake that is in strut WOW does he look real. We get all set up and we notice a bird right on the corner of the field on the roost. This was bad (we thought). At day break that bird was the first to sound off. We both said it’s a gobbler but the good thing was he was turned away from us in the tree and never saw us. A sense a relief was noted by both of us. Then about 5 more birds went nuts for about 15 minutes right behind us about 60 yds. All of this started around 5:20 am. Around 5:40 am the first bird flew down into the field at this time we could not tell what it was about 2 minutes later we noticed 2 gobblers coming in fast. One was strutting. They saw that Jake and they were determined to teach him a lesson. Well at 5:45 am they came into around 25 yds and both the 12 gauges sounded off and the birds hit the deck. We doubled. Both Birds were just about identical. My birds weighed in at 18 pounds with a 9 inch beard and inch hooks, My Uncles weighed in at 19 pounds with a 8.5 inch beard, a 1.75 inch beard and ¾ inch hooks. I did notice that the bird that was i the tree that we saw first never flew down and watch the whole show. Wonder if he was the big one on the area? WOW I was very greatful. What a day. I will post some pictures as soon as I get them.

Tom

Mon May 09, 2005 9:07 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congratulations .. I'm glad you got your bird .. sounds like an awesome hunt.. one to cherish for a lifetime..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon May 09, 2005 9:22 am
King of Spring

Mon May 09, 2005 4:11 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

WOW! What a hunt! I was one to not use decoys much in the past, but this year i had a boss tom absolutely DESTROY my jake at 20 yards! It was the best hunt I've ever had, and I know what you mean about them wanting to teach the jake a lesson! CONGRATS on the double:!:

Mon May 09, 2005 11:53 pm