View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:07 am

Turkey Hunter Shot? 
King of Spring

Post Turkey Hunter Shot?
I was talking to a friend of my the other day and he asked me had I heard anything about a hunter being shot by some fellow trespassing on some private land in South Hampton County. He said the hunter was in his sit-up and had decoys out . There was a bird gobbleing . From what he was telling me these three poachers came on the land saw the decoy and shot at them . Hitting the hunter on the ground. The one who shot the gun was a convicted fellon. He also was using buckshot. The one thing they did that was decent, they called for help and stayed with the hunter. ? has anyone heard of this happening.
Tim

Thu May 05, 2005 9:09 am
Longbeard

Post no, I haven't heard a word on this
Sure do hate to hear a story like this one. I hope it doesn't pan out to be more than a rumor.

Fri May 06, 2005 6:40 am
King of Spring

Me too Coach, it sad to think with all the talk out about hunter safety that this still happens every year or so. They use to say put your back to a big tree, but now these careless people with guns(I'm not even going to call them hunters) are shooting hunter in the front :(
Tim

Fri May 06, 2005 7:26 am
King of Spring

Rumor or not (and I hope it IS), this should be a reminder to all of us to

:!: BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!! :!:

:arrow: KNOW your target --> Don't THINK it's a gobbler - measure his beard before you shoot.

:arrow: KNOW what's behind the target.

:arrow: Safety ON until the shot.

:arrow: Finger OFF the trigger until time to shoot.

I know we all know these things, but it's never bad to be reminded of them, right? Besides, I read a statistic in Turkey & Turkey Hunting last year that said most hunting accidents involve an offending shooter who has a great deal of experience and woodsmanship -- not some drunk knucklehead who doesn't give a rip about anything but spilling blood. In other words, any one of us could get careless, think that "Well, I'm careful - I know I'd never make a mistake like that and hurt someone" and end up in a high-adrenaline, hot hunt and pull the trigger on another hunter. God forbid.

:!: BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!! :!:

Fri May 06, 2005 6:30 pm
Jake

I hunted South Hampton Co.2 weekends ago with a co worker who's in a club down there;we had 2 guys calling and walking right up to our decoys that we had set out in a field;They walked right across the field to our decoys as they were calling :evil:
I couldn't believe it.We got out from behind the decoys and out of thier line of fire,walked out into the field to ask what thier problem was, and they turned around, got in thier truck and went down the road.
We catch up with the older man and a young boy and ask what they were thinking?

They both started laughing! :evil:

And proceed to tell us how bad our calling sounded. :x

Makes you ponder about these so called "hunting accidents" :wink:

Fri May 06, 2005 8:44 pm
Longbeard

One fellow who is a Tnturkey member got shot, and a woman at work told me today that while she was visiting her mother in Lee County Va, a hunter got shot and had to be airlifted out. As far as I have heard, no fatalities.

Mon May 09, 2005 9:16 pm