View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:24 am

Heartburn turns into Heartache 
King of Spring

Post Heartburn turns into Heartache
On the way up to my spot this morning i had severe heartburn but not knowing soon it would turn into heartache. Me and my hunting partner set up on this gobbler who was gobbling pretty good. After a few minutes after setting up i gave him a few tree yelps but no answer. Then i got more vocal with some yelps and he then answered me back. After a few minutes i gave him a cutt and he gobbled right back. When he gobbled i heard a jake yelp from behind me and thought i should turn around but decided not to. Then i hear movement from behind and i turn slowly to see and there was another gobbler going into strut. When he went behind a tree i moved my gun over to my right side ( I shoot left handed but can shoot both way well i reckon i can) and shifted around a little. When i did that i rustle the leaves and he must have thought it was a hen beacause he came on a hard run. I mean he was running hard straight to me and at 15 yds i took a shot to watch him fly away. This was a nice bird with a thickl beard on him which was swinging around when he was running. After the shot i sat there disguisted with my self. Me and my buddy walk to were he was when i shot and 5 yds from were he was there laid my wad. This is the 3 bird i have missed but all have been running and with a scope it makes it a little more difficult. So we think we have spooked the other birds but within an hour we find ourself setting up on another bird. The only thing this bird was answering was some agrresive cutting. About 15 minutes of cutting to him i see a white head about 15-20 yds away. It was real thick and could not get a shot neither me our my buddy. Finally he new something was not right and decided to depart us. After all this the setup we had was poor and learn this from our mistakes. When walking out of the wood we felt like we really blew 2 opportunites this morning but at least we got to play the game. Today was one of our best days since the first week and i believe the turkeys are starting to do better. Good Luck to everyone in the last 2 weeks!!

Doug

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:59 pm
King of Spring

Sorry bout the tough luck, well at least on bringin one home. But hey, it's not all about the kill, as i can already tell you know. Just keep hangin tough, and it wont be long till the ol boy is thrown over your shoulder! :wink: I'm definitely glad to see that someone other than me thinks that it's starting to get really good :!: PERSISTENCE :!:

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:46 am
Longbeard

Sounds like a good mourning hunt...yuk yuk(get it). I'm with you 'nator, the best is yet to come.

Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:09 am
King of Spring

Doug...you played the game and played it will. Hitting a running turkey is no easy task. Stay in the game.

Mon May 02, 2005 8:43 am
Profile YIM