View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 5:43 am

He Loves Me Not . . . 
King of Spring

Post He Loves Me Not . . .
OK Turkey Wizards . . .

Here's the deal--two different birds, two different locations, two very different days very far apart.

The same thing happened both times:

A talkative gobbler on the roost . . . a reasonably close setup (100 yards or so) . . . and high hopes :D

After setting up and listening to 10 or 12 voluntary gobbles, I offered up the requisite tree yelps which went unanswered. Then, after 15 minutes and several more gobbles, I sent out the fly-down cackle. After hearing the cackle, dead silence. A couple of gobbles from the ground and he moved out. The first time, I didn't even get a gobble from the ground.

Does my fly-down sound THAT BAD!!? :oops: What's the deal!? And why won't a loud-mouth gobbler answer any of my calls from the roost? Listen, I know I'm not THAT BAD of a caller!! I've called in a few! Or . . . maybe I really AM that bad :cry:

I've practiced and practiced and listened to CD's and listened to live hens in the woods. It really doesn't sound too bad to me . . . eeek. I'm thinking that I'll just eliminate the good ole fly-down from my turkey-talk vocabulary until someone who knows what's what can coach me a bit. It's embarassing to have a gobbler ignore it and even MORE embarassing to admit to all of you that I suck. :oops:

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:38 pm
King of Spring

May be some other reason, but that would be my first thought....seen it to many times to count. Pay attention to where he heads once he gets on the ground. If it is the same general area each time, set up there. Also keep in mind that you have all day hunting in VA beginning next week...many times a gobbler that is a tough cookie fresh off the roost can be a little easier to deal with later in the day. Main thing is don't let your gaurd down and stay after him.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:48 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Probably not you.. My guess is a real hen walked in under his tree.. both birds in this case

But you can try the flydown without the Cackle.. use a Wing if you have it.. if not use a hat or just beat you pant legs with something that sounds like a Turkey flapping out of a tree..

In this case.. I would not even tree yelp to him.. Sounds like he's heard it all before.. and probably came to a setup once and had a close call with Death

If you are around Turkeys long enough.. I would say for every hen you hear Tree yelp .. there are 15 more that don't .. they wait for him to gobble Fly out and go to him.. so keep after him.. don't call until you hear him Fly down.. then start with some soft content yelps and clucks.. and work up from there if he responds well.. but I think he's an old educated bird that has heard it all and probably doesn't like the aggressive stuff .. those are the hardest and most rewarding to bag..

Good luck..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:49 pm
King of Spring

Peacemaker... NEVER get down on yourself. Confidence is the best tool you can carry in the woods. One thing i know is it don't matter if you are Walter Parrot these birds can make you walk out of the woods with you head in between your legs. Just keep trying!!!

Doug

Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:09 pm
King of Spring

How long did you stay with the set up after you last heard them? they will often hush up after they hear a hen expecting her to show. When she doesn't He may gobble again or come in if you don't call but it may take a looong time (hour or more). If you have the patience and time stick em out 1 am. I agree a wing only call may do the trick and not tree call either or only once. Good luck

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:28 pm
King of Spring

I know how the temptation of calling to one roarin on the limb can be, but remember this :arrow: the LESS calling you have to do, the better off you are :!: ...So next time, use some of the tools the other's told you, and keep after them! -Persistence my friend, PERSISTENCE :!:

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:09 am
King of Spring

Wow, guys. Thanks for the fantastic advice! I have A LOT to learn!! What an amazing animal to pursue! You guys are great and I appreciate all the help!! :)

Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:47 am
Longbeard

Ditto everthing said...maybe try adifferent type call...i.e. change from a mouth call to a slate/glass or box. I'll tell you, sometimes a boxcall around 10am LOUD will wake up the woods, but mostly not, but by then I've blown out the latex on some of my primo mouth calls when they gobble good on the roost then shut up.

Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:03 am
King of Spring

Thanks, I just bought a VERY loud box call this year. Maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow am!

Sun May 01, 2005 11:19 pm
Longbeard

Post hunting pressure could probably be the impact
This happened to me this spring in KY. I hunted a farm, and the first day they gobbled great. I found out the farm was hunted way more than I thought. I know of six other guys that hunted the farm too.

The next day, gobbled fair.

The third day, I had three gobblers, would not answer a hen call. They would gobble everytime I would owl hoot, but would not answer the hen call. After they hit the ground they dissapeared.

All I can think of the was the hunting pressure these birds got to be the problem.

Rob

Mon May 02, 2005 6:31 am