View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:58 am

Going silent............????????? 
Longbeard

Post Going silent............?????????
I am now worried about my turkeys. I went yesterday afternoon and did not hear a gobble. I went this morning and did not hear a gobble. They have been in these woods since well before the season. Since the first day they have been gobbling hard everyday, now silence. What in the world causes this? I have not been pressuring them at all. As a matter of fact Sat. was the last day I hunted there. Any ideas?

Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:07 am
King of Spring

TScott and I didn't hear a single gobble on Tuesday until 9:30 a.m. We were on the Giles/Montgomery county border. We were in a listening spot that I know we could here any bird withint a square mile area or more. In my humble opinion, I think the gobbler groups are clearly busted up and with the amount of hens in the population, each gobbler is getter near hens so less need to gobble. What is interesting is that after the flydown and early morning courtship, it seems we are starting to see more gobblers mid-morning willing to become talkative. Surely more hens are moving to nest and that should help the odds alittle.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:55 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Hunted my spot in Northern VA the last two mornings.. and No gobbles.. I'm worried too.. Birds had not been hunted as far as I know in 8 days.. I'm worried somebody slipped in and killed the loudmouth..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:34 pm
Longbeard

From a good source, the birds have gobbled hard near Roanoke, VA Wed & Thurs morinings.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:25 pm
Ive been hunting brush mountain and for the past couple of days atleast one sounds off around 8:30 but I havent heard any on the roost.

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:23 pm
King of Spring

I am by no means an expert, but I do know what a gobble sounds like and the woods were electric this morning in my little corner!! Of course, I didn't connect . . . both of the talkative birds I attempted to work headed further into the mountain than I had time to follow before work. But, thank you God, they were gobblin'!!

I also had an exciting encounter with an irritable hen! I thought it was a good morning!

. . . . . and just think . . . the weatherman said it would be raining . . . :shock:

Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:45 pm
King of Spring

It's definitely frustrating to be hunting in a spot you KNOW turkeys are in, and not just in, but *SHOULD* be gobbling in! I've found it wierd, myself, that you can hunt 2 days back-to-back with the exact same weather and everything -one day they'll gobble their heads off, and the next they'll have lockjaw! Unlike your birds tho, where i hunt the early season was tough with little to sometimes no gobbling, and this week they've purked up and i had the greatest hunt of my life! Where i'm at, the hens are just beginning to nest, and while that means not as much early gobbling, the late-morning is awesome! -For me, that's when turkey huntings in it's prime, when you can find one all alone while the hens are on the nest! After all this, all i can tell you is to stay after em, be patient, and try changin things up a bit! Try a different tactic! -Hey, what can it hurt right? PERSISTENCE :!:

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:10 am
Longbeard

If you check "gobbling times state" on this forum you'll notice no pattern. I, like every other gobbler hunter, have been trying, in my case 30yrs or so, to figure out some tell tale as to when they'll gobble. You name it, I've monitored it and can't pass along any help. The only thing that MIGHT be helpful is, wait a minute I've got to back into some protection here, MABE they gobble sorta predictably after a few days of cool, damp mornings followed by a blue bird day. That's been disappointing also, just like every other factor you think will work.. I can say this, that if you'll stay out in the boonies from May 2 till the end of WV season, from5:30am till 11:30 am, you'll get a shot. What a prediction!

Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:53 am