View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:19 am

Almost Heaven.. Snow Cold and Wind.. Turkey on the Ground 
King of Spring

Post Almost Heaven.. Snow Cold and Wind.. Turkey on the Ground
Well After I left Freddy's house I went over to WV to my homeplace to hunt the opener on Monday and Tuesday.. I was hoping to get out and listen Sunday but the Wind and Cold kept me in Bed.. I needed the rest anyway :)

Monday morning greeted me with an inch of fresh snow, 35 degrees and gusting winds..

But I braved the elements and went to one of my honey holes.. at 6:15 a Gobbler pierced through the 20 MPH winds way down in the holler below.. he gobbled well and I was about to head his way when two rang off right where I hoped they would be.. about 250 yds down the ridge I was on.. I decided to try to get a little closer and as I was sneaking along the ridge top I busted two hens off roost and the gobblers went nuts at their wing beats.. I got a big smile and thought oh boy I've scared off the hens .. this is perfect.. the were still hammering pretty hard.. But you know what they say about best laid plans :x. I setup and called some but at 6:30 they shut up .. I heard them flydown and thought they were on the way but by 7:00 still no birds in view and the one in the hollow along with another in the hollow below were still hammering hard.. so I decided to go after them.. I played the game with one until around 9:30 but he had hens.. I saw them once and he would not leave them .. he shut up and I slipped out and hit another spot but could not strike another gobble before the bell rung.. snow was melted away by noon..

Tuesday I hit another Honey hole .. and was greeted with no gobbles at all by 6:30 I was getting worried, and was questioning my decision to not go back to the same place as Monday.. but then I heard a hen tree yelp a few times so I snuck down and setup a jake and hen deke in the scrub brush half pasture in front of the tree line they were roosted in.. then setup and tree yelped back to her .. in a few minutes I heard 3 or 4 birds fly down.. and the boss hen was fired up and ready to fight.. I purred aggresively to her and cut hard.. she came right back at me.. in just a few seconds I see turkey heads.. its at least 3 hens and they were checking out my dekes.. then I saw what I was hoping I would see.. 2 big white heads materializing over the rise.. when they got to where they could see the dekes they both ran at them hard and one blew up into strut.. then went back to running at the dekes.. it all happened really quick.. when they got to the dekes they got nervous and turned to retreat but not before I got the strutter in the scope and greeted him with a load of Nitros :D

He was a nice bird.. I would say at least a 3 year old..

22.5 lbs
11 inch beard
Right spur 1 3/16
Left Spur 1 1/8

Awesome hunt.. absolutely no gobbles .. but a bird on the ground .. it was overcast and cloudy and low light and the picture is not very good and doesn't do the bird justice.. but here it is anyway..

Here is a better pic of his beard and spurs later in the day..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Last edited by WVBOY on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:29 pm
King of Spring

Congrats, Heck of a bird!!! I am glad the monkey let you have your shells back!!!

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:47 pm
Profile YIM

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:56 pm
King of Spring

Max

Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

sounds like you are on a roll. Keep it up good job!!

Doug

Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:36 pm
Longbeard

GS...

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:29 pm
King of Spring

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:04 pm
Jake

Where abouts did you go in WVa?I'm suppose to go up to my home place in Union this weekend for some turkey huntin and trout fishing,and hopefully find a bag full of morels. :D

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:16 pm
King of Spring

Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Post Sound like a great hunt
This is great. Sure glad to hear te story.

Rob

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:37 am
Longbeard

Randy, Great Job. What a trophy. Hope all works well the rest of the season in VA. Did you get my email I sent you? Again.. Great job :lol:

Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:42 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Nice bird!
Where abouts did you go in WVa?I'm suppose to go up to my home place in Union this weekend for some turkey huntin and trout fishing,and hopefully find a bag full of morels. :D

I hunt around Frost in Pocahontas County .. used to play Union in Basketball about 15 years ago .. I remember the Small Gym there..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:29 am
King of Spring

Way to go WVBoy! Congrats on both birds. Hope those WV birds keep talking as I just bought my WV license!

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:44 am
King of Spring

Congrats Randy on a couple of fine hunts. You're on a roll now.

Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:37 pm
Profile YIM