View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:05 am

Steps for Making a Custom Pot Style Call 
Longbeard

Post Steps for Making a Custom Pot Style Call
I've been doing some reseach on making a pot style call and so far the steps below are what I've come up with. Any thoughts on if they are correct or if I'm missing something?

1) Sand pot and wipe off dust (I bought a pre-cut pot)
2) Glue sound board stand to bottom of pot with wood glue and clamp overnight
3) Seal entire pot with coat of clear polyurethane
4) Glue sound board to stand and clamp overnight (I'll be making a glass on glass pot and I planning on using clear silicone or household Goop)
5) Run a bead of glue around ridge for holding striking surface
6) Glue stiking surface to pot and clamp overnight

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:50 pm
Boss Gobbler

#1 - I sand the pots and try to get rid of any machine marks and try to round off the corners a bit. I then polish the wood with 000 and 0000 steel wool, trying to get the wood to where I like it.

#2 - I then coat the wood with Minwax Polyurethane wipe on or Minwax Poly spray in the blue can. After each coat dries I then buff it with 000 steel wool, I usally do three coats on the outside and at least one on the inside. On the outside I then buff with 0000 steel wool after the last coat. If you wish to sign the call do so before appling the Minwax with a good craft marker or a fine tip Sharpie. Some markers will run on you.

#3 - I let the Poly cure for several days to get nice and hard, then I glue the soundboard in the call with Goop Outdoors and let it sit for a day. (Goop outdoors holds like crazy, and is waterproof)

#4 - I then glue the surface into the call, I have tried both Goop Outdoors and Silicon. They both have their pros and cons but I have decided I like the Goop product better. (each person likes something differnt)

#5 - Like I said before, I use spring clamps. I tape cardboard to each side of the clamp so that the glass/slate is not marred nor the wood. If the poly isn't cured the clamps will stick, not too big of a problem, just more buffing with the 0000 steel wool and it will go away.

You have to get the right amount of glue on the surface. It can be a pain, too much and it will seep out onto the surface and with slate that's a pain, glass not a huge problem.

Have fun with it!!!

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Scott - thanks for the great information... again!!! One last question for you... do you turn your own pots or purchase them. Looks like CustomSawing.com has the nices pots available for purchase that I've seen so far. Also, does the Goop outdoors dry clear or does it hold a color (OK, so that was two questions...lol).

Thanks!

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:18 pm
Boss Gobbler

I have bought the same pots from Custom Sawing. The Goop is not quite clear, maybe a watery milky white? :lol:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Do the different types of pot on customsawing.com make different sounds? I know some are prettier then others, but what would be the best to use? Also, does the glass over glass make it any better then just glass? Thanks for your help.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:58 pm
Longbeard

Guest - There are a couple of good websites that I've found helpful and may have answers to your questions:

http://www.customcalls.com/

http://wildturkeyzone.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=590b569fe012ad1f7ce21b0e5078ba8a

Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:38 pm
Boss Gobbler

Each wood will have a differn't charterstic (sp?). I really like the sassafras from custom sawing with slate over double strength glass. Gives a nice raspy yelp and some pretty good clucks. The walnut I tried was slate over glass again and it's a little bit louder and clearer. I also tried a plan old walnut and slate and that that cost me a pot :cry: I have a custom slate call in walnut that sounds great, figure he has a shorter depth to his sound chamber then the custom sawing pot.

If you go over the the Zone Call Forum, ask Alex your questions. He is a wealth of information and makes some great calls. I have one of his walnut glass calls that I really like.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Scott - what type of sandpaper do you use to finish a pot? I assume some sort of medium grit and then a fine grit to finish it off? Thanks!

Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:26 pm
Boss Gobbler

I can't recall exatcly which grit I have (garage still needs to be unpacked :lol: ) but it is a medium and then fine. Then I finish it off with 000 & 0000 steel wool.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:40 pm
Profile WWW