View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:23 pm

Do you think the prime of turkey hunting is OVER? 
King of Spring

I have called in jakes just about everywhere I've been this year. So this I hope is the bottom of the barrel.

Tue May 03, 2005 8:49 pm
King of Spring

:arrow: Pay Attention to Dale's post guys! Not only should a turkey hunter be versatile with his calls and such, but in hunting new areas until he finds toms that will talk as well! I've not heard the turkeys I usually here, but I've tried new places, seeked permission in different counties, and have at least found birds that will let me play the game! The 90% mortality (sp.) hatch rate we had in 2003 has likely affected Virginia this year, but there are birds out there guys, you just have to be persistent enough to find 'em :!:

Tue May 03, 2005 11:53 pm
Longbeard

Until I start hearing some late gobbling I don't think the prime time is in.

Sat May 07, 2005 8:43 am
King of Spring

Post A few are still out there
I hunted an area where I had heard no birds in three (yes three) different hunts. This morning I heard two different birds, worked one and sad to say got busted while trying to do a position changes. The hens appear to have left the boys, so at least the odds appear to be improving. One more week to go guys, and I'm more excited now than I have been in weeks.

Sat May 07, 2005 8:36 pm
coach I have heard less gobbling this year than in years past. However, I tagged out the secound week and passed on a couple 2 year old birds. All the birds I worked were with hens or were working nesting sites. They still came to the call but not very vocal.

Game commission stated we have had a bad hatch the past couple years but I have seen many jakes over the last few years and see large flocks during the fall deer season. Im thinking the areas Im hunting (Henry, Pittsylvanis and Franklin county) did not experience the hatching problem like some other areas.

I personally feel Im hearing less gobbling because there are so many hens in my areas.

Sun May 08, 2005 2:00 am
Longbeard

I killed one Monday that gobbled at least 100 times, on the ground. Spent the rest of the week chasing one gobbler. Tuesday through today, on the roost, he gobbled 27, 44,64,12, about 20, and lost count in the sixties today. Also Saturday he gobbled 4 times between 4-4:15 and 15-20 more times from 7:10 to 8:00, and no, I havn't killed him yet!
We also could here two more distant gobblers gobbling on the roost.

Sun May 08, 2005 10:09 pm
Post Prime Time
Until this saturday i have heard sparse gobbling at best. I think that prime time is approaching and will cary over until the week after the season's end. Keep at it you guys! I've killed two and i'm going after my third tomorrow.. Mark my words: The turkeys will raise hell this week! (Hopefully) :)

Sun May 08, 2005 10:22 pm
Longbeard

Post Coach
Wasn't this Saturday great!. THe morning was outstanding. All the Brids chirping, nice and clear. and not a gobbler within miles.

I was able to hunt a new piece of property this weekend. I went in with high hopes, and got there, and what a beutiful mornging. no joking. It was cool, great to hunt.

I stayed in there all day, and not even a distant echo of a turkey.

sure glad someone is hearing something.

Rob

Mon May 09, 2005 6:42 am