View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:48 pm

Gobbling, or lack there of 
King of Spring

Post Gobbling, or lack there of
I have noticed that a lot of people has been hearing little to no gobbling in areas where we know they are at, including myself. Is it all because they are henned up? If so do you think things will break loose in a week or two?
There has been other years where they were henned up bad, but they still did lots of roost gobbling. I myself have never seen another year like this one. Have called in Toms with no hens, and they still didn't gobble. Maybe the gobbling season is just running late this year? Whats up?

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:39 am
King of Spring

You can never say for sure what is going on. I have a buddy that hunts the Northern Neck and he has birds gobbling all day! In Warrenton yesterday he had two birds gobbling at 0930 (blew the stalk, but that's another story). I normally hunt a farm in Catlett and so far the birds are still henned up. They gobble on the roost, but maybe once or twice on the ground and then it's off w/ the ladies. Only success so far was ambushing one w/o calling (http://vaturkey.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=512) I am hoping these hens start nesting soon. I am getting worn out gettin up at 0330 to have my hunts over by 0700! I have stayed out untill 0900 or 1000 some days and not a gobble :(
That's turkey hunting!

Last edited by brwndg on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:50 am
2 Year Old

Econo....I know what you mean. I did managed to get one on a place that I didn't think I would, but I have a 350 acre spot that I hunt that there is no way anyone could have poached or educated (they would have to walk 3 miles or better to get to the swamp and then find out he is on the other side) a gobbler there. I have seen several hen tracks and "j shaped" droppings but have yet to sight a gobbler. Do you think this could be an old bird that is waiting for his girlfriends to nest before he sounds off? My father and I said yesterday that this is the longest we have ever been at this place without hearing a gobble in 20+ years. I mean it is confusing......

Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:10 pm
King of Spring

Shew, i know what ya mean guys, ive hunted all but 2 days of the entire Virginia season, and have struggled to hear gobbling other than on the limb! I've managed to call up 3 very vocal hens, and have had maybe 2 days of decent gobbling early, also called up a tom that came in quiet, but that was the only action thus far! I know for a fact the birds are REALLLLY henned-up BAD where im huntin, i was drivin to a different spot and seen a longbeard on a rise in a field struttin ....behind 3 hens!! ...I'm sure the gobblin' should improve over the next week or so, im from the far southwestern tip of Virginia, and ive noticed the best gobblin' and huntin i have is usually around the last week in april and the first week of may! ...I will say that it seems to be pickin up some tho, i had a bird fire back at some loud cuttin and yelpin on my box call thursday mornin, it was 10:20, he gobbled pretty good for a lil bit, and that was it. All i can say is hang in there guys, cause one of these days we're gonna tickle his ears just right, and it'll all turn around! -GOOD LUCK!

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:31 pm
Jake

You wouldn't be hunting in the Pardee and Dunbar area would you? I've hunted there some and have had the same results as you.
trkyspur

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:57 pm
Longbeard

I too have heard less gobbling this year than anyother year even on the limb. In an area I know of at least 8 or 9 gobblers I have herd only one gobbler on the roost gobble more than 3 times most have gobbled only once and that was on good days. I hope things turn around soon my brother is in from PA this week hope to get him on some birds. I did have success on the first two weekend on birds after hens had left. But I have been disappointed this week with the birds. So far I have called in 7 birds but I've hunted almost every day. Some for other hunters but this week my favorite partner is in. So I hope things heat up here in the sw and fast. Do you think this cold spell will hurt?

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:54 pm
Poult

Went to a farm yesterday, heard zero gobbling, when the morning before my hunting partner heard one gobble 10 times. We left, came back around 9:30, called at the end of his driveway just playing around really, here comes the gobbler running straight to us 300 yards away. Once we got back in the woods he gobbled about 10 times between 9:30 and 11:00. We didnt get him, and were even more miffed by him not gobbling in the morning. Because of the lack of gobbling im starting to think that this may be the last gobbler left in Louisa County.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:53 pm
King of Spring

Thanks for the input guys. As far as the weather hurting the gobbling? My 2 best days were the 1st week of the season when I had to scrape ice off my windshield.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:25 pm
King of Spring

trkyspur ...i have hunted cane patch a time or two, but with no luck, didnt even hear a gobble, i used to have TONS of luck killing and hearin turkeys in the holler i live in -stonega ...but most of the hunting i have done is in scott county on private land. The only other place besides cane patch ive hunted in wise county would be a place i know near coeburn, but in all the places ive hunted it hasnt been good! Usually by now im all tagged out, for the past 3 or 4 years anyway, not that its all about killin em, but daggone its been TOUGH!!! ...The birds ive been huntin have what i call a SEVERE case of *L. J. S.* (Lock Jaw Syndrome) haha! I figure things will 'purk-up' over the course of this week and next, i sure hope so anyway! *fingers crossed*

Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:05 pm