View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:43 am

This household haveing shooting difficulties! 
Longbeard

Post This household haveing shooting difficulties!
After my son missed last weekend, I took my lick today. It was awesome though.
Hunting in a valley with no woods for 75-100 yards up either side. Valley has a strip of sapplings running up it. I put out three dekes, put up some material to help hide me, and waited for daybreak.
Gobbler sounds off to my left no more than 100 yards and right on the field edge. After a while of sparse gobbling I hear a hen coming down to the bottom from my right. Then I hear yelping behind me on my left. Then another hen sails in and lands with the dekes. Surrounded by noisy hens, the gobbler starts making his way to the dance. He is 35 yards from me and 20 yards from the decoys and locks it down look, I guess, at the jake decoy. He clucks a couple of times and turns to leave. I have to make a move with my gun, get it hung up in the blind and now he is really starting to leave. I managed to get off a shot that a lot of folks would have connected on, but I didn't. He went airborn and flew 150 yards up the hill. It was fun none the less.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:51 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

it will all come together soon I spect....I di not hear anything early in your county this am...moved west a few counties and found some birds in the middle of the day...sat throug h that horrendous thunderstorm with birds gobbling all around me, jakes at point blank and just knew the big boys would appear at any minute..they did not..I was soaked to the inside of my ears..course on the way out I walked into the silent big birds tying to dry themselves in the pasture..I am trying to remember the fun part of this???

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:58 pm