View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:37 pm

Ol' Reliable - Photos added 
Boss Gobbler

Post Ol' Reliable - Photos added
Dale and I hit Craig County again this morning. Our plan was to go after a particular bird we have come to know as Ol' Reliable. Ol' Reliable has gobbled on one certain peak on this one mountain for the last three years.

We left our trucks at 5:00 a.m. and after a hour and fifteen minute hike, we sat down to catch our breaths when Ol' Reliable sounded off. He was down from us on the adjoining ridge. We climbed straight down and then straight back up to get above the gobbler.

Dale was to be the caller and sat 20 yards behind me while I was set up about 100 - 125 yards away from Ol' Reliable. He was gobbling at some crows so getting a fix on him was easy. Dale started to call and did several fantastic fly downs with his A Hat. I finally heard the gobbler fly down and my heart went into overdrive. That's when at least two hens started to talk to our boy. Dale and I (i joined in) both started to get a little more agressive and luckily the hens shut up, but Ol' Reliable had also gotten quite.

Finally Ol' Reliable let a gobble go and we knew we were still in the game. Dale gave him some sweet talk and I began to shake. The ol' boy was getting closer but it sure felt like he was taking his time. Several minutes passed when a gobble ripped from about 60 yards in front of me. I could not see him but moved to the postion I thought the shot was going to be. I finally saw him at 40 yards and watched for at least another five minutes as he bobbed between laurels looking for the hen.

I had this great shooting lane on my right and knew that was where the shot was. As soon as Ol' Reliable stepped into the lane I let loose the sickest sounding putt you have ever heard. Ol' Reliable took two steps across the lane and stopped dead behind a tree.

By now I'm doing breathing exercises and trying to find a window in the underbrush. Dale is behind me keeping up with the sweet talk but is unable to see a thing and the gobbler is keeping quite. The gobbler finally steps out and I have a very small window in which to make the shot, BOOM!!! Ol' Reliable went down for the count.

14.9 Pounds
9 3/8" Beard
1 1/1 6" Spurs
distance 23 yards

The shed was found on Ol' Reliable's peak the first time Dale and I went up there after the ol' bird.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Last edited by TScottW99 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

I hunt for moments just like you described. When I stop breathing hard and shaking I will stop hunting. Congrats

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:09 pm
King of Spring

Congrats Scott on a fine National Forest bird! What a hunt. Glad to be part of the game this morning. What this bird lacked in weight, he more than made up for in character. Got to love those dreary day birds! Guys, the monkey is on the loose again! Beware.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:17 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Way to go Scott!!! Those lightweights sure carry some impressive hardware don't they!! Congrats on getting that "bad boy"!! :wink:

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:36 pm
King of Spring

What a trophy!!! Nice when a plan comes together. On the hour and 15 minute hike back to the truck I bet he began to feel more like thirty pounds! Kudos to you both, great story.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:46 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Nah, it was mostly down hill going back to the truck :lol:

Forgot to give the yardage he was shot at, 23 yards.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

congrats to both of you...those old mountain birds have had a tough winter...

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:32 pm
King of Spring

Congrads Guys!!!.... the dynamic duo!!!..AKA.. Monkey smashers!! :lol:

Max

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:35 pm
Congrats, guys from an old mountain hunter :wink:
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:21 pm
King of Spring

Kudos! You guys are awesome :!: I'm sure he never knew what hit him :!:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:32 pm
King of Spring

Good job guys!! I know ya'll two hunt together alot and that is good. I have a hunting partner that i hunt with all the time and when one succeeds it means both had an important part in a hunt. Congrads again!!

Doug

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:37 pm
King of Spring

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:22 pm
Longbeard

When you successfully harvest a gobbler as you and your buddy did, the gobbler is a trophy but the memories of the hunt with a friend will last forever.
GS...

Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:27 am
King of Spring

I KNOW DALE , AND HES A GOOD TURKEY HUNTER.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
STRIKER1300

Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:57 pm