View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:28 pm

Fog and Gobbling? 
Longbeard

Post Fog and Gobbling?
How much does fog effect a turkey from gobbling? I went this morning where I have heard birds everyday but today. Very light and sporadic gobbling. Just wondering if somebody who has been hunting longer than me knows from more experience.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:54 am
2 Year Old

Post gobbling
in my many years of experience a turkey gobbles best on days he wants to. no really i have not found any certain weather pattern that makes turkeys gobble more or less. on one foggy morn the woods will be silent. then on another foggy morning the birds may gobble like your on a turkey farm. the best advice i can give is be there as many mornings as you can, weather or not, and you will be there when they decide to gobble. good luck and good hunting.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:24 am
King of Spring

I'm going to beat GN to the punch on this one. EAST WIND!!! :( When I saw the weather report yesterday, I told myself not to bother going. Glad I didn't listen to myself. Why should I when no one else does! Guess Ol' Reliable didn't listen to the weather report either, but then again, he was the only bird that seem to miss the boat this morning.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:25 pm
Profile YIM
Jake

Post fog
In my experience, fog can go either way. I went this morning and was right on top of a bird, maybe too close. Anyway, he gobbled 7,8 times by about 7, not a whole lot. Then around 7, then fog started to move in or at least the ceiling got lower, and he didnt make another peep. I think I walked out with him still in the tree. Waited from 7 to 9...had to be at work. But three years ago, had two going nuts side by side in the roost with the fog coming in, after moving on them twice, they came in side by side and ny brother took one. What I have learned is that when I dont get one to come in like this morning, then I blame it on the fog...

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:35 pm
2 Year Old

i hunted last thursday morning in a heavy fog and had two gobblers going at it hard on the roost,and heard several others in the area i was hunting in gobbling,but seems like after about 7:30 or so all took the lock jaw.my experince with foggy mornings is lots of gobbling on the roost and they seem to stay roosted much longer than normal when its foggy.i have never been able to get one in when its foggy.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:47 pm
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I hate the fog...the others have said it...they stay in the trees late...sometimes they stay up there really really late in the mountains in the fog...sort of like you diving in to muddy water of undetermined depth ...you wouldn't do that and they don't want to land on mr yote as they are backfanning...

Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:40 pm
Boss Gobbler

Amy and I were working a gobbler one time on the shores of SML and he was a comin... Got to about 75 yards and a fog bank rolled in and he proceeded to fly back into the tree. We waited him out as long as possible until Amy had to leave for work. He was still in the tree when we left. Amy killed him a couple days later... :lol:

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:03 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I was suprised at this a.m. hunt when i saw it was going to be fogging. Shortly after getting out of the truck a gobbler sounded off on top of a mtn.When i finally got up to him i decided to try my luck and call him down. I figured like Freddy said he would sat in the tree most of the morning but iwas wrong. He worked his way down the mtn gobbling hard at most of my calls. The only problem was icould only see 20-25 yds in the heavy fog. He was probably 30-40 yds away gobbling but could not see him. Finally i heard a hen work her way up to him and the gobbling was over. Well anyway it was exciting morning just wished it was not foggy.

Doug

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:26 pm