View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:15 pm

Fire on Turkeycock WMA? 
Longbeard

Post Fire on Turkeycock WMA?
Ijust got a call from one of the guys on our lease. He is at camp turkey hunting and said there is a huge fire on the WMA. In his words, "the whole mountain is glowing"

I have searched the web but cannot find anything about it. Hope it rains tomorrow.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:47 pm
Boss Gobbler

I have not heard anything yet, good news, 80% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow. (good news for Franklin County, bad news for my day off)

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Heard on the local news that the base of Turkey Cock Mountain on the Henry County border was on fire, probably from a lightening strike. They had to call off fighting the fire last night due to the helicopter not being able to fly in there at night and the terrain for the groundstompers. They are back at fighting the fire this morning. News said about 50 acres burned thus far.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:16 am
Profile YIM
That fire is over on the Franklin Co. side of the mountain. It's still burning and they said that it will be at least tomorrow before they can get under control.Boy it's a bad time for that , it will probably burn a lot of turkey nest. Maybe they will have time to relay and hatch . They said lightening probaby set it but it could have been white lightening . Franklin County boast of being the moonshine captial of the world. By the way Dale the peak of the mountain is the Henry/Franklin County line.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:23 pm
Longbeard

Our lease backs up to the WMA. From what i understand it is near the old firetower.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:14 am
King of Spring

Dang, I hate to hear that for you guys that have a lease out there. Maybe it won't burn up to much. May all the displaced Turkeys come to roost on your lease :!:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:49 pm
2 Year Old

If I lived near there, that is where I would be hunting. The turkeys will be moving into the burned area to feed on roasted acorns and toasted insects that are easy pickings now that the leaves and branches are burned away. The turkeys will be moving in while the snags are still burning.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:42 pm
Longbeard

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/22368.html

I am actually pretty excited now. Some of that area where it burned was very thick.

Heading up midweek to hunt. We will see

Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:20 am
King of Spring

I have hunted it many times, I think this is natures way of opening up the forest again. It will be prime area this fall and next spring. I accually park sometimes at the area right next to the old fire tower amd go over the ridge about a half mile of so to a sweet little spot maybe this was burned over and it will be more open it was kinda grown up. I will try to get in there if they will let me and check it out. I will keep you posted.

Jon

Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:52 am
Longbeard

Our lease is directly below the firetower.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:51 pm