View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:02 am

Turkey Gods cruel this am 
Boss Gobbler

Post Turkey Gods cruel this am
Well this am as the day broke I had a bird gobbling his head off about once every 10-15 seconds, problem was he was across the James River. Well nothing was talking on my side, so I left checking a few spots as I left. Went to another place and as I walk in I see a truck, well he doe snot have permission to hunt where I was going so I figured he must be on the other property, but I checked with the crow call anyways to be safe. I did not hear the hunter but a booming Gobble at 200 yards. I snuck up to the power line and watched a bird strut and gobble through the binocs about 200 yards away on the next ridge. I made a play to get in front of him and set up and called GOBBLE!!! then another Gobble to my left from another bird. I was set up off to the side of a pathway that the bird SHOULD enter the woods from the opening. Well you guessed it he came to my left through the thickest stuff you can imaging. at 25 yards I could see him and had my gun on him but it was too THICK. Then another bird gobbles to my left at 30 yards in the open, but I cant get around on him as he is more like behind me. I shut up and the hens carry them away and they courtesy gobble as they leave. Then I heard it ...footsteps could it be a satellite bird, I purr and then a head pops up ...A HEN, then ANOTHER HEN. They carried on for a bit and drifted off. The other birds would not come back either. I had a good show. I hate it when they are in range and you cant get a shot, but that is the way the Turkey Gods do you sometime. I reckon I used up all of my favors in Florida so no complaints, but the Turkey gods sure can be cruel sometimes.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:05 pm
2 Year Old

You got the best part of the game. Some would not care if the turkey was in thick stuff and would try to force the shot. Way to hold off. They will come back to play again.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:40 pm
King of Spring

Hody... I know you hate to get them in range and can't get the shot off but what is worse is when you get the shot off and you miss( i won't mention who did that). Well the best part of the game you experience and the other part will come if you stick in there. Good Luck!!

Doug

Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:01 pm
Longbeard

At least you have action! A lot of people are talking about not hearing any gobbling. We've heard gobbling every morning we have been out and both evenings I have been out. It's a blast.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:35 pm
Poult

You got to play the game and watch the show Hody! Your shot will come. I had nearly the same situation happen to me Tuesday morning. Had a longbeard at 50 yards strutting and putting on a show and believe he would have closed the diatance in time but the "boss" gobbler showed up and ran him off. Never even saw the "boss" bird. He just started gobbling at this other long beard and he broke strut and walked away. Then the "boss" went silent too. Game over.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:13 am
King of Spring

Had a very similar experience about 4 years ago. I've often been amazed at the thick stuff some birds will walk through to get to you when there is a perfectly good logging road leading right to you! This time the bird got check mate. Next time, he won't be as lucky based on your track record. Keep after them.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:14 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Before Tuesday I had 3 gobblers within shooting range on 3 different occasions. I thought there my chances were over for the year. But, I see now that I and my buddy were wise to not take an iffy shot. Now I have one shot one dead turkey.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:17 am
Longbeard

talk about cruelty!! i hear ya and understand ya completely... i am leavin for the beach today.. and my wife... thought and i guess i did as well thought it would be better to get some rest instead of gettin up early this morning and gettin a hunt in.. especially after gettin allergy sick so bad yesterday... but anyways... this morning.. i looked out my sunroom.. and the place i had been hunting for 3 days straight and not one turkey showed up... there were turkeys in there this morning!!.. go figure right!!>. anyways.. they'll be there when i get back!!!

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:30 am
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:03 pm