View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:09 am

spring time... and allergies... do not mix!!! 
Longbeard

Post spring time... and allergies... do not mix!!!
Again, another beautiful morning in the woods this morning... however, not a single note from a bird anywhere in my small slice of paradise.. after not hearin a bird for quite awhile this morning i decided to cut my hunt a lil short this morning due to the fact i was gonna start lighting up the woods with sneezing!!.. does anybody ... anybody at alllll!! have any suggestions to get allergies under control.. ( any meds, ideas,?? ) anything will help!.. i try all kinds of medicine... but is there anybody that knows of something that is really good that wont knock me out cold!.. i felt like i kinda wasted my morning hunt b/c it was all i could do not to sneeze!!.. any suggestions??

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:11 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

RtR... I have pretty bad allergies myself, including asthmastic allergies that create another whole set of complications.

I've been able to keep mine under control for the last several years with Clariten D (24 hour, 1 a day) that's now available without a prescription. I also take Singulair and it helps with my asthma, but it has to be prescribed by a Doctor.

Different medications work well for some and not for others, but if you have never taken Clariten I would recommend you try it. I have taken 1 a day for the last couple years and it's made a BIG difference for me.

Hope this helps and good luck with it!

Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:45 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I am with you Freddy, except I take Allegra once a day. It is a similar drug to Claritin, but also must be prescribed by an MD.

Short of either of those, you can always take Benedril thats over the counter. I keep some in my bag anyway to help with bee stings. I have never had a bad reaction, but I have heard that it can happen all of the sudden. To keep my throat from closing up, Benedrill is always handy. Plus sometimes I need a little more help than the Allegra to calm my sinuses down.

Try one of the two Prescriptions mentioned, you won't be sorry.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:49 pm
Longbeard

Don't laugh, it just might help. First, take Claretin like Freddy said. It is a good product. Try rubbing a small film of vaseline on youe mask...don't use too much or you'll start lookin like a rolish. Pollen is mighty small but does have to be inspired to cause problems. I will get stuck on the vaseline as you breath. I know this sounds crazy but I've tried it and it helps for awhile. Makes your mask not so clean after a while but you can wash it by hand daily. My Dad has constant ocular discharge due to pollen. I told him to shampoo his hair in the pm just before retiring and change his pillow case every two days. Theory is that pollen collects in his hair during the day and if not removed in the pm you gring it into your face as you sleep...leading to runny, reddened eyes. Well, he tried it and it helped! The mask will filter some of the pollen out. You'll have to wear it tight on your head so the air inspired will come in near the area vaselined(very lightly). I'm embarassed to even bring this up but it may help...but it won't when the pine really start dumping pollen...some years worse than others. Good luck

Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:51 pm
King of Spring

An allergy attack in the woods is simply no fun at all, especially when you are trying to hold in a sneeze. A word of caution about medicine...stick to the recommended dose. True story...last year I spent more time in the woods than any previous season. I was running on a serious lack of sleep and the allergies, well, you know how bad it can get. I was taking an over the counter liquid allergy relief. One morning I had this nagging cough and doubled the dose because I was invited to hunt on a private farm and didn't won't to blow the deal due to my allergies. Long story short, while watching a bird work his way down a field I got that aweful feeling in the pit of my stomach that you simply can't hold back. So, there I am with my host 30 yards behind me giving the bird sweet talk and the bird coming my way and I have no choice but to stop fighting the urge to barf and let nature take its course. Have you ever tried to barf quietly :shock: ? Amazingly enough I got through this without the bird or my host knowing I had just barfed only to have a hen come and drag our big boy away. Later, my host asked why I rolled over on my belly while he was calling. Boy, did he get a laugh. Must have been the mega dose of medicine on an empty stomach.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:26 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

thanks fellas!! i appreciate the advice... funny thing is.. i've tried allegra, cariton.. ( not the clariton D though? so i'll try that next).. but i have also tried benadryl.... i may as well stay in bed if i do that.. it knocks me out cold. and if it doesnt.. i feel like i am gettin hit in the head with a hammer.... anyways.. kwiac... great advice!! and somebody told me once before.. dont knock it till ya try it.. b/c if it works then sure beats the heck out of sneezin when ya got a biggin comn in!!.. sooo thanks! i will try the mask thing.... one thing about it.. atleast i'm not the only one around here that has them... allergies definitly does its toll on me..

Thanks Guys!!

Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:32 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I have suffered from severe Springtime allergies my whole life and over the past few years have found wonderful relief. FLONASE. Two sprays in each nostril in the morning and again at night. For itchy eyes PATANOL. Works wonders. I no longer suffer and mine were so bad I used to get shots and take benadryl like eating gummie bears! Talk to your doc and get a prescription. You won't be sorry.

Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:56 pm
Longbeard

I have been taking Clarinex this year and it is doing wonders!

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:31 pm
Jake

If you have not tried the Allegra D as oppossed to regular give it a shot. I started with it last spring. Works for me. I just take one a day

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:41 pm