View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 am

Back from Southampton County & Dusting Question 
Longbeard

Post Back from Southampton County & Dusting Question
I hunted Southampton county with an outfitter this past Thur-Sat and had a fantasitic time even though no one in my group scored. Out of the three of us hunting, my buddy missed a jake standing at 20 yards (yes, he's still hearing about it). There were plenty of birds on the property however we had 20-40 mph sustained winds everyday which really screwed us up. It was also in the 30's in the mornings and the gobbling was nonexistant. It was still great to get away and I look forward to hunting VA again next year.

On the last day of the hunt (at around 11am) I came across a dusting area which I have never seen before in the woods. It was made that morning right on top of our tire tracks from the afternoon before... lol. I was wondering if anyone knows why the dust themselves?

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:55 pm
Longbeard

I am under the impression that turkeys will gather and dust themselves at these 'dusting bowls' to help get rid of fleas and ticks and/or other insects that are bothersome in their plummage. They also make great places to ambush a gobbler that may want to hang around and strut for hens that are dusting.

Other than that, I am not sure what they are for....

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:07 pm
Boss Gobbler

TBurt is correct. It's real cool to watch a turkey dust... it's like looking at Pig-Pen from the Peanuts with all the dust flying. :lol:

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:32 pm
Longbeard

dont they also dust to cool themselves off possibly???? i may be wrong.. but i thought i heard that from somewhere!!.. turkey experts help me out on this one.. wrong or right??

Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:17 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

You heard from the Master Turkey experts Tburt and Freddy :!: Case closed :!:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:13 pm