View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:34 am

Bluegrass Bonanza, tagged out in a few hours! 
Boss Gobbler

Post Bluegrass Bonanza, tagged out in a few hours!
I was asked by GN to join him on a spur of the moment trip to KY to hunt their opener Friday and Saturday. We arrived early enough Thursday afternoon to get driving familiar to the property we were going to hunt the next morning but we did not walk in the woods or get any roosted birds located from the road. We had no idea what to expect although the other guys at the motel that had hunted the nearby counties before were optimistic about the hunting.

The next morning GN and I floundered around in a creek crossing and GN got wet to the kness… it was 40 degrees, but we finally got headed up an old logging road to the top of a steep ridge and await daylight. GN said "The next 15 minutes is going to tell us a lot about how our day is going to be!" 5 minutes later a gobbler sounds off 125 yards away straight down the ridge from us. We quietly slipped 20 feet next to a couple trees and waited to see what would happen. A couple other gobblers joined in with the original bird and we thought there were 3-4 gobblers in front of us. While waiting for flydown the birds stopped gobbling and we started getting worried that some other hunters had bumped them. Sure enough, 5 minutes later 3 hunters walk up on us and GN tells them they are trespassing and need to leave. They didn't argue and headed back. Probably 15 minutes later we get the turkeys to gobble again but further out the ridge. We could hear hens around us and with them too. They would answer pretty regular but until GN and I started calling together and doing some serious flock talk cutting they were hanging back. The aggressive cutting tore them up and they broke away and here comes the original bunch of turkey, plus 2 other gobblers from different directions and they were going to converge in our lap. Finally heads and fans started popping up and GN and I were able to communicate to get 2 birds in the open, I clucked, he counted, we shot, and down went 2 beautiful gobblers!! What an incredible first morning in KY!! 45 minutes after first light.

You can see me in the background setup to the left of the road waving

Our hosts offered to show us around a couple more places during the day and we had some nice options for the next mornings hunt. Later that evening we were invited to a little party and GN fried up some turkey breast from that mornings hunt and we had a great time fellowshipping and eating!

The next morning we again slipped into a spot we had only seen from the road and setup in a point of woods. As if on cue, the whippoorwills stopped, an owl started, the cardinal sang, and a couple turkeys started gobbling. One in front of us and one behind us. GN turned the face the gobbler behind us and I was facing the other bird. After a little flydown routine the bird in front gobble hard all over it, but the woods behind us went silent in the area where the other bird had gobbled. I was intently watching in front and GN was covering the back door, as we were just doing a little very faint flock calling, when the bird behind us gobbled just under a rise from only 30 yards away and we actually jumped when he gobbled. In just an instant the big white head came over the hill and GN let the air out of him at about 20 yards with the 10 gauge! A 11 inch beard and spurs of 1 1/8 and 1 1/4. It turned out there was another bird right there in tow, which we did not realize until after the shot, but he didn't stick around to even try and jump on the other turkey.

We sat right there to see what else would happen with the bird in front of me. He gobbled a time or two more at 125 yards but behind some fencing that we are now able to see after it got light, but he was not really affected by the shot, so we got up and relocated on him. We slipped to the edge of a power line right-of-way and I spotted a hen feeding about 100 yards away and the birds were gobbling in the woods behind her. All of a sudden, the hen stands erect and starts putting, when out of the woods flies a big red-tail hawk and he hits the hen right in the side. He knocks her to the ground then flips around and lands on her back, trying to pin her to the ground. She managed to get her feet under her and run back into the woods, but the turkeys were totally spooked at this point. I have never seen anything like that before so it was pretty neat, but that setup was history as a more basic instinct, survival, had overpowered the mating urge for a while in that spot. We circled around 150 yards towards where we saw the gobbler run , setup and just started blind calling a little and finally the birds settled down and we had a bird gobbling again. This bird sort of hung out there for perhaps 30 minutes and then GN, who was set up behind me 40 yds, started moving around behind me, scratching and calling trying to bring the turkey in. After he got back 75 yards behind me he pulled out his Cody slate and cut loose and another bird gobbled on the next ridge over perhaps 125 yards in another direction . A repeat of the Cody jubilee brought an instant gobble, and GN quickly scratched his way back towards me 40 yds and got down flat on his back. In just a few minutes the new bird gobbled again close, and the next gobble was just over the ridge. Soon, I saw his bright red head crane up over the hill and start working our way. I knew I would have to shoot when he came out behind a large oak. It would be a fairly long shot, but I felt good about it and the bird went down.

The limit in KY is 2 birds a season so GN and I took some pictures, loaded up the birds, and headed home from another great adventure!! We figured we were in the woods less than three hours. Thanks again to our hosts and GN for another great hunt!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

AWESOME FREDDY!! thats all i really know what to say to somethin like that!!! awesome!!!!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:35 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:46 pm
Longbeard

Wow-heck of a job in Kentucky. That was a great story.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:01 pm
King of Spring

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:49 pm
King of Spring

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:50 pm
2 Year Old

Super Job! That was a great story. Congrats!!!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:15 pm
King of Spring

The dynamic duo stricks again. I'm not sure whose more effective...The Masked Man or his sidekick Ol' Three Toes. One thing is for sure...where ever and when ever the duo strikes out, fear rings true in every turkey in the area! Congrats on a couple fine hunts and for sharing your incredible adventures. The two of you should have Diablo write a book about your exploits!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:29 pm
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Diablo has plenty to write about in his own exploits..he does n ot need any material from me, that is for sure... we were very lucky to hit about dead on perfect weather and some honest birds...which is a perfect combination if you ask me...

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:29 pm
King of Spring

Gosh these two guys are Turkey Killing Machines :!: :!: :!: :shock:

Congratulations. When I grow up I want to be just like you guys :!: :mrgreen:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:32 pm
Boss Gobbler

One heck of a spur of the moment hunt!! :D

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Heck of a job!!! I am glad you all don't hunt around my area. : :lol: :lol:

Doug

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:01 pm
King of Spring

All I want to know is, where did you all find the Turkey Magnet :roll: . Good Job!! Sounds like you had a great time.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:28 pm
King of Spring

That sounds like turkey huntin heaven. What a trip!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:59 pm
King of Spring

Makes me smile everytime I see one of you post... great job!!!

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:47 am
Profile YIM