View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:27 am

Is it me or is Gobbling slow 
King of Spring

Post Is it me or is Gobbling slow
I have been out for the past week and have not heard a single gobble. I have heard hens and see gobblers in the area I hunt (total of three) but they will not gobble at anything. Is any of you guys/gals seeing the same thing? I would like to know, about other areas. Thanks for all the info. To all who have scored congrats and to those who have not keep tryin.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:21 am
King of Spring

There is another post going about slow gobbles. Check out those answers.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:54 am
Jake

Post Same thing here
Yeh I have had the same experience. I have been every single morning with the exception of two. I have heard one gobble in 5 different properties. I went saturday with a buddy to his place of 350 acres I know is full of turkeys. NOT a single gobble and we hunted till 11 or so. I think mainly they get henned up. This is the third season I have noticed this pattern

If you ever try and roost them the night before, I dont hear them then either. And from what i know, the only reason for them to gobble once on the roost is if they dont have a hen already neary by. Week 3 should peak there interest. ONce the hens go to nest, it should get better.

Good LUck. Happy hunting!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:14 pm
King of Spring

TScott and I have been hearing roost gobbling mostly. The only thing the grounded birds seem to respond to is shock gobbling. The birds in our area are clearly henned up. But, the season is young and mother nature is on our side. Should see more hens nesting and more gobblers on the search for late morning love!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:37 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:59 pm
King of Spring

I have had good luck this year, finding a few gobbling birds. I must say that I think that things are starting off very slow. I am hearing very few gobbles. Both birds I killed, did no roost gobbling at all.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:33 pm
Poult

I believe it's slow, but they're so henned up where I'm at they dont need to gobble. We hunted one this morning, he gobbled 4 times on the roost, by 8:30, we had him fired up and interested enough to leave his hens and check us out, but in the end, our little 2 man calling scheme wasnt convincing enough. Outside of that bird, I've barely heard any gobbling in my 5 or 6 trips out.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:42 pm
Longbeard

I have heard a ton of gobbling on the roost. After fly down very limited. Yesterday was the first day I had two gobbling good on the ground. They came in but my buddy could not get an open shot. 30 yds or less, man they were big too, he is a responsible hunter and passed the shot.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:15 pm