View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 pm

Success, failure, and one disappointed young man! 
Longbeard

Post Success, failure, and one disappointed young man!
Me and my son went back Saturday morning and set up in the same place he got his a week ago. Daylight was breaking and bam! Less than 125 yards away. I told him then that I bet that was the one we were after. Sure enough a steady stream of hens started making there way in. On the ground, he would rarely gobble, but I would cutt at him now and then just to check on his where abouts. They stayed in a 100 yard square taking care of business, hens coming and going, til about 9:30. Finally they started moving up a fenceline. We made a move and got in there where they had been all morning, but I never got him to gobble again.

My yard was knee high in grass so I had to go home and mow. Michael thought we had spooked the gobbler but I convinced him we hadn't and told him if he wanted to stay and hunt that I would come pick him up later. He did, so I set the dekes back up where we were all morning and left him on his own for the first ime turkey hunting. I left him at 10:45.

At 12:00 he hears a gobble to his right. He whips out his Aluminater and gives them a series of calls and gets ready. In no time two red heads pop up in the field like periscopes. They start making their way towards the dekes, but won't seperate enough to give him a shot at just one. They finally seperate enough to give him a shot, but he has followed them so far that he is twisted out of position, and they are so close, 15 yards, that he just misses when he shoots.. He said they were two big longbeards.

None the less, I am proud od him for calling in his first two longbeards while actually hunting, and even more proud of him for waiting on the birds to seperate before taking the shot, even if he did pass up his best shots and missed.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:17 pm
King of Spring

Sounds like you have provided the makings of a fine turkey hunter. Many leasons to come!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:23 am
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

been there...that close the pattern probably looks like one of those baseballs michael can make disappear in right field...hahaha

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:33 am
2 Year Old

You ought to be proud. Proud of yourself too. He obviously has a good teacher.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:02 am
King of Spring

I wish all Turkey hunters were that ethical. Good Job :!:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:43 am
King of Spring

Even if he didn't bring home the bird, sounds like he still had a great hunt. He brought home something else, CONFIDENTS in calling up those long beards. GOOD JOB

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:17 pm
Thanks for all the congrats... I do have a great teacher. It was a huge confidenc ebulder to call them in but it was a empty feeling after the miss.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:46 pm