View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

Why do I do this? 
Jake

Post Why do I do this?
So I took three days off last week - Wednesday through Friday to go hunt in GW National Forest. I wake every morning at 3:30 am since its nearly a 1.5 hour drive from Sterling to the trail. I quickly climb up into the area that I know there are lots of birds - and hear nothing. All three days. I try blind calling for 20 to 30 min at a time and then set up a new location and try again. In the course of those three days I actually walk up on 12 turkeys, all between 20 and 40 yards, and all hens. So I know that if I'm actually getting that close to that number of birds (I actually saw more turkeys this year than I've seen in 25 years of hiking the Appalachians) then there must have been dozens nearby that I never saw or heard.

So why am I putting myself through sleep deprivation, physical pain, and mental anguish over these dang birds! And the crazy thing is that I'm sure I'll be doing it again very soon.

I think to myself 'Hey, the Toms must all be henned up right now. They'll go vocal in a couple weeks.' I must be the victim of an addiction of my own creation.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:07 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

I quit asking myself that years ago. Just well face it.
Turkey hunting's an addiction. :shock:
GS...

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:30 am
King of Spring

Some don't get it but I've yet to see anyone cured! Congrats!

Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:43 pm
Boss Gobbler

You just do it. My wife told me the other day that I was obsessed, and that it was like I was addicted to a drug, I guess I am. I cant get enough of that GOBBLING!!!!!
Those awesome sun rises are pretty cool too.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:48 am
King of Spring

Just do yourself a favor and stop asking why. Somethings were just meant to be. Starting asking yourself why not! Admitting you have a problem is 99% of it! :D

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:20 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Freddy says, "If they don't come within an hour, they aren't coming at all" When I hunted with him we waited at least an hour for the birds to come in to our calls. If they came in at all, it took right around an hour. It was the last two weeks of the season, but I think it still has merrit. I would wait an hour before moving. If you aren't using a blind of some sort, try it. It allows you a little movement and not be seen so easily. I have one of those with like 8 little poles attached. You just make a semi-circle around you to block your movement, then call away!

My two cwnts.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:03 pm
Jake

Thanks, I may try that. I've been interested in getting a portable blind for other types of hunting as well. One thing I did really learn from the days I spent on the trail last week was what equipment was necessary and what wasn't. I ended up ditching the backpack, decoys (the forest is pretty dense so not much open area anyway), and a couple other items and instead fit everything in my turkey vest or pockets. One item I won't ever go without again is the portable seat. That thing is a real backsaver!

-Matt

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:46 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Your not alone
I've made two treks to my uncles on the edge of the national forest and have yet to hear a gobbler. However there is lots of sign and I've heard hens. I think we are just early this week. Heck the dogwoods haven't even bloomed yet and per the old wifestale that is the sure sign the gobblers have turned it on. Have a feeling the last week of the season may be pretty decent this year.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:13 am
King of Spring

Freddy says, "If they don't come within an hour, they aren't coming at all" When I hunted with him we waited at least an hour for the birds to come in to our calls. If they came in at all, it took right around an hour. It was the last two weeks of the season, but I think it still has merrit. I would wait an hour before moving. If you aren't using a blind of some sort, try it. It allows you a little movement and not be seen so easily. I have one of those with like 8 little poles attached. You just make a semi-circle around you to block your movement, then call away!

My two cwnts.

Is this the rule for blind-calling or after you've had a response from a gobbler?

Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:52 am
Boss Gobbler

To modify my rule that Ron posted... "If blind calling and they don't come within an hour, I'm not waiting any longer!" Not that it won't take them longer than an hour to come, but I'm not waiting much over an hour before I am moving. I have noticed that when blind calling a lot of turkeys that come in will be either really quick after setup or somewhere around that 1 hour mark. Don't know why really... just an observation.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

The only time I'll extend that 1 hour waiting time is if I'm in a situation where I don't have the land to hunt (or I'm on that TX trip last year in the nest). We (Hody, Max and I) waited almost 1.5 hours and had birds finally come in silently (and we will not discuss the outcome...lol). Just my 2 cents.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:52 pm