View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 pm

Ivory Spurs? 
King of Spring

Post Ivory Spurs?
Last Wednesday (4/13) I killed a tom I had been chasing since the opening day. This was the only gobbler I had heard on this farm so far, but I had seen a few jakes. I didn't get to hunt the rest of the week so when I got out this morning I figured it would be a quiet one. At 0615 I hear a gobble coming from the same roost area I took the bird Wednesday. I hurried to the spot but was not able to move closer than 250 yds. since it was getting pretty light by now. At 0640 the gobbler and two hens flew down and were making their way towards me!! Unfortunately, they were on the other side of a 40 yd. wide run. This creek is deep (4+ feet) and there is nowhere to cross; besides, I was pinned down w/ them moving in my direction. All I could do was sit and watch the show. I sat on the opposite bank from this trio and watched them walk along picking at the corn stubble. I carry a pair of 10x25 binos in my vest and was able to get a REAL good look at this old boy. When he was about 80 yds (?) out I got him in the clear and was able to get a look at his spurs. I swear they were white!! Has anybody ever seen a bird w/ white spurs? They must be 1+" for me to have seen them from that far away. And talk about a paint brush!
I waited until they were out of view before backing off and making a very wide circle to get ahead of them. I got into position about 30 mins later and called hoping to pull him onto my side, but he never gobbled after hitting the ground and I never saw them again.
I sure hope he hangs around for awhile...I have to work ALL next week! I think I feel a cold coming on!?! :wink:
Wish me luck,
Tim

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:34 pm
King of Spring

I have heard of white spurs before, but it turned out to just be fingernail polish :wink:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:58 pm
King of Spring

The bird I ended up getting last spring had spurs that were somewhat ivory in color. That was a first for me!!! :wink:

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:23 pm
Jake

Post Ivory spurs
Sure hope you get him! Keep us posted. My taxidermist from carroll county killed a bird 2 years ago with true 1 1/4" spurs so white that the word Ivory almost doesn't do them justice. We called them Pearl.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:11 pm
King of Spring

Yep.. Killed one two years ago in WV and had Ivory spurs.. they exists..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:30 am
Boss Gobbler

Ask Diablo about ivory spurs... oh wait, nevermind! :wink:

I wouldn't say they are common, but I have killed several and Amy actually killed one in SC this year with Ivory spurs...

Not sure what causes it, but they sure are pretty. Good luck with that boy and show us some close-ups when you kill him!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

I have one set and another that are very light. Very cool for sure.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:43 pm