View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:58 am

Where would you go? 

Hunting in the wind
I would hunt the feilds 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
I would hunt the woods 45%  45%  [ 10 ]
I would hunt the field edge beside the woods 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 22

Where would you go? 
Jake

Post Where would you go?
Hello to all,
Hey folks,With the wind blowing like it has here, where would you rather set up,in a field next to the woods or in the woods.I know,..."where ever the birds are!"But the debate at the local watering hole was 50/50.Some saying that the birds get out of the woods because of too much movement of limbs,etc.
Some saying the birds go to the woods to get out of the wind.
I have to remind myself that I'm dealing with pros at said watering hole :wink: :roll:
I would just like a more experienced answer.
Thanks.

Last edited by Kessler on Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:09 pm
King of Spring

I'd check out a spot that was somewhat down in a valley out of the wind altogether, but that wasn't one of your choices. :wink:

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:27 pm
Jake

Where I was refering to was a decent size farm that is as flat as can be,no hills,no valleys,just lots of hard woods and lots of fields of whatever they're growing this year.
Now my familys farm up in WVA,definetly has the hills and the valleys to get out of the wind :D

Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:59 am
2 Year Old

i agree with MayTom,ive noticed in my hunting areas on windy days they seem to get in protected hollers and valleys,especialy if they are overgrown.also ive noticed they dont mind to be in open fields when its windy,seems like turkeys dont like'open wooded' areas on windy days.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:27 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

What Maytom said. Prime example Sat wind was blowing ENE which is BAD for turkeys...right GN. Anyways I have a few valleys blocked by this wind and hunted there so I could at least hear. I did not hear a peep, and I know they are there so I will return later in the week.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:54 am
King of Spring

I try to find protected hollows, especially ones with a large stand of mature pines. If the hollow has water and acorns all the better.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:17 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Turkeys really don't seem to like a strong wind. maybe it limits there hearing and that is unsetteling to them? I don't know, but that would be my guess. If you can't hear well, then something might well sneak up on you and eat you, or shoot you.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:06 pm
Jake

Post Where would you go
We have a cabin in southcentral Pa. There is 82,000 acres of State Forrest around our cabin. This past weekend I did some trout fishing but also did some scouting. Our season opens on April 30. Most of the gobblers are located around the hemlocks and streams. I did see one really nice longbeard crossing the dirt road in front of me. All of our turkey hunting is done in the woods. No fields within three miles of the cabin. Lots of luck!

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:06 pm
King of Spring

You also didn't have an option for . . . say . . . flying a kite or reading a book.

I'm certainly not any kind of an authority on turkey hunting, but I do know that I HATE hunting in the wind! I was just talking with my dad about this last night and, in all seriousnes I would rather hunt in a tropical downpour with no wind than hunt a warm, sunny day with a 20mph wind!!

Don't get me wrong though, I'm an addict. So when it blows, do I stay home and read a book? Noooooo. I take my lousy, addicted butt out there in the wind and chap my cheeks, call loud and hard, and never see, much less hear, anything.

I know that deer will go to a pine or laurel thicket on windy days as the thick foliage acts as a wind break, especially when it's cold. But, I don't know about turkeys. I think when the wind blows hard, the dematerialize like ghosts. Yeah, that's it!!

Turkeys are unique in all of the natural world in that the molecules of their physical make-up are bound loosely by weak electrons that lose their magnetism when confronted by the static electricity created by the wind-induced friction of their feathers rubbing against each other. They therefore, in high wind conditions, come apart in a turkey vapor. When the wind subsides, the reassemble at the molecular level in a matter of hours. This molecular reassembly is sometimes a bit off, which accounts for some of the genetic oddities reported on this forum such as smoke-gray plumage, ivory-colored spurs, blonde beards, etc.

Anybody buying this? :lol:

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:19 am
Jake

I think when the wind blows hard, the dematerialize like ghosts. Yeah, that's it!!

Turkeys are unique in all of the natural world in that the molecules of their physical make-up are bound loosely by weak electrons that lose their magnetism when confronted by the static electricity created by the wind-induced friction of their feathers rubbing against each other. They therefore, in high wind conditions, come apart in a turkey vapor. When the wind subsides, the reassemble at the molecular level in a matter of hours. This molecular reassembly is sometimes a bit off, which accounts for some of the genetic oddities reported on this forum such as smoke-gray plumage, ivory-colored spurs, blonde beards, etc.

Anybody buying this? :lol:

:shock: :lol:
That is hilarious!

Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:10 pm