View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 pm

Is it me, or what does it take to get a gobbler to gobble? 
King of Spring

Post Is it me, or what does it take to get a gobbler to gobble?
I've decided I need a hearing aide or the gobblers I'm hunting have lock jaw.

I've hunted my uncles place twice (today and the opener) and haven't even heard a gobble yet. He has land bordering National Forest and 2 early pre-season scouting trips indicated the birds were there. Heard gobbles and also saw sign (lots and lots of sign). Some areas looked like a road grader had gone thru them. This morning up and in the woods at 530. Plenty early, and in an area I knew they should be. At first light (once the song birds started doing their thing) I tree called a few times on a slate call and waited for the gobbles. Instead stone silence. Decided to just wait. Sure enough after about 15 minutes I heard some yelps coming from the hill side probably 150 yards away on my left. Then on my right some more yelps. Super, I'm between a batch of birds. :D Only good things can happen now. Did a few soft yelps on my own with the slate and still no gobbles. Then about ten minutes later I hear three or four birds fly down out the trees. Still no gobbles.

30 minutes I wait, a soft call here and there with no responses. I Then determine they have flown down and linked up and have left me behind. :( Guessing I just didn't hear the hens yelping over a nearby moutain stream and the gobblers just aint gobbling.

Long story short I decide to climb the biggest baddest mountain nearby to get on top and just listen. After being close to a heart attack multiple times (I'm almost 50) I get to the top where it is absolutely beautiful. Sit on top of the vista looking in multiple directions for probably miles and miles and break out the box call.

30 minutes later still without a gobble in hand, I trudge down the hill and back to the car. Far as I know noone has messed with these birds in the least, but they act like they have been hunted and hunted a lot.

Any ideas guys, my only thoughts are these woods are open, really open and these birds may have seen me from long long away and have just decided to move on while operating in stealth mode.

PS. They are still in the area, the sign is more than evident. Appreciate any ideas short of a lobotomy. :)

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:46 pm
Longbeard

Being in really open wood is a big factor and they can definitely see you from a long distance. I know when I hunt open woods early in the season once it gets daylight I can't move.
Last Sunday morning I set up across from a knoll where they've been known to roost. Sure enough just as it was breaking day I could hear some soft hen talk. At day break they flew down and one hen went to calling really loud, yelping and cutting. This lasted for 10min or so . The morning was still as could be and I'm sure she could be heard for at least a mile away. I stayed there until 11:30am and never heard the first gobble! I believe that if the have several hens they just don't gobble much. And some morning they just simply don't want to gobble no matter what.
Here in Tn. the area where I hunt they've all but quit gobbling. And I know they're there! And I also know it'll pick back up in about two weeks.
Good luck, hang tough and keep huntin!
GS...

Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:04 pm
in the foot hills were i hunt i ve noticed the same thing i think your both right .to open and hened up .but they have been in the same area.and the girls are calling the shots .my guess the cold front that came sunday held the girls from starting to lay those first eggs .the weather should break on monday and get things going .and one more rain should get the woods to thighten up. the 3rd and 4th week of the season should be good

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:59 am
Longbeard

Same here in the mountains, they are henen up! I see this about every year. Don't worry it will happen soon :wink:
Keep em Gobblin!
Struttinbird

Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:29 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:43 pm
Longbeard

You bet GN! If that east wind is blowing nothing you do outdoors is any good.. except flying a kite!
GS...

Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:17 pm
King of Spring

Ive heard Gn talk about East wind several times, I'm definitely listening buddy!

Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:18 pm
Jake

Post same thing here
I just made a post on the other guy's forum who has had little to no gobbling which I have experienced as well. In fact the last 3 seasons seem to have gone that way for me as far as little gobbling in the first couple of weeks.

Something to consider about the lack of gobbling in addition to the TOMs being henned up. The VDIF sets the season time table to where the turkeys have several weeks of unhunted mating time in March and first week in April to help ensure a good hatch. Without any pressure, these birds tend to hang out all day in fields feeding and breeding, and while they do split at night, those gobblers generally have a hen near by on the roost. So until the hens go to nest, and the Gobblers have to get more aggressive, just something to consider...

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:27 pm