View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:51 pm

Almost, but foiled again 
King of Spring

Post Almost, but foiled again
I headed out his morning with criggster( whom I meet on VAturkey) and we had a bird gobble twice, this was twice more than he normally does. We setup on a ridge to his side and waited for more light. I statred to call some and we had two more answser on an oposite ridge. Those two bird were working to our setup but it happened again. I was setup about 25 yards off a field edge, and I cought some movement so I slowly turned my head and saw two hens moving up the field edge. They were going to the gobbling turkeys, so as I watched them melt into the backdrop another bit of movement cought my eye. There he was a nice bird, thick paint brush beard and all. He was after those hens and moving rather fast up to them. I called to him and he stoped for a split second broke into a quick strut and then continued to chase the hens. That was the last we heard of all the turkey. I hope to get in the area early tommarow and see if we can make it a really happy Friday. Oh yea another thing that monkey that was on dales back well he lives on mine now. :) I think last year he was checking it out and now he has moved all his stuff in. I hope to evict him soon.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:52 pm
Longbeard

We had a good morning anyway. After I went to the Rocky Mount Water Treatment plant I talked to their supervisor and he got one that morning. About 1" spurs and 9" beard. Sorry I cancelled this morning, but I was exhausted after this weeks events. Hope you got him!

Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:08 am
King of Spring

That monkey had REALLY set up a nice living quarters on me. I was getting really tired of the extra vest weight. Amazing how much lighter my steps seem to be now. Don't let the monkey get settled on ya! Stay in the game and play hard! Don't forget to have fun along the way. Me and the monkey shared many a laugh over the last three years.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:11 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I hear Primos has a new line of "Monkey Proof" vests and calls. Maybe all of us that haven't taken a bird yet this year should think about purchasing some of it. What do Ya'll think :?:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:14 pm