View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:46 pm

Well Finally 
King of Spring

Post Well Finally
After the first half of fall season on Quantico with some good sign but not getting anything to bust or talk good from the roost. I started out the 2nd half this past Saturday.

I have seen a ton of sign this 2nd half but again could not catch up with the birds, plus wearing orange (requirement on and off base due to deer gun season in) makes it a little tough getting in close to bust them yourself, or at least a good bust.

So after seeing great sign in 17B yesterday but no turkey's I thought I would just set up in a blow down and do some blind calling. This morning started off with some rain but cleared at first light. No turkey's talking on roost that I could hear. So about 0930 the wind started to blow about 15-20mph I decided to move down into the bottom. Got set up in another good blow down that would mask my orange a little. Hit the box with a couple kee's and yelp, no answer. About 15 minutes later hit the box again and got a course yelp back up over on the other side of the ridge lip I was on about 60 yards up from the bottom. Answered the yelp with a kee and yelp from the box and I got all kinds of kee keeing and yelping back. Fired the box up again and they continued their talking, I love the fall sounds. I could tell they were closing the gap fast so put the box down and got the old double up. A few seconds later here they came up over the lip running dead at me yelping and keeing, did I say I love the fall sounds and sights. It was about 9 or 10 birds. They got 15 yards in front of me and stopped but continued calling. Looked for a Jake but could only make out 2 mature hens and the rest smaller jennies. So picked out the largest of the 2 hens. Once the hen was down the others scattered four ways. So I just sat there unloaded my double and waited about 10 minutes. Got out the trumpet and gave some kee's and yelp's. Started getting an answer right away. About 2 minutes later 3 young birds came back in and hung around a couple of minutes until I heard the other mature hen fire up in the bottom. The one gave a couple kee's and off they went into the bottom.

Gun----Fox double 12 ga
Ammo----Fiochi 4 shot 1 3/8 pheasant
Call----- Frank Cox box teak and ebony
Camo--- Old school
Turkey----Hen 10.25 lb.
Distance---- 15 yards
Weather--Clear, 40, sunny and windy 15 mph.

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:37 pm
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Well Finally
Congrats on a beautiful fall hen! I am hoping to get out soon to go after one.

Pretty box call from ol' Frank.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrads on what sounded like a great fall hunt!

Doug

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:00 pm
King of Spring

Congrats! Love the old Fox and the box call!

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:28 pm
King of Spring

Pretty darn cool. Like the old double as well. Is that a Fox Sterlingworth? And if so, is it the usual 30" full and mod?

Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:05 pm
King of Spring

Congrats there Top, beautiful hen!

Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:13 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Tut, yes it is FS 30" F/M. Was one of my grandfathers. I have another Fox F/F and an LC Smith Long Range F/LF 32" barrels I use for turkey.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:21 am
King of Spring

Congrats man.. I know 17B pretty well.. :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:10 pm
King of Spring

Congrats on a great fall bird. I thought you used dogs when you chased fall birds. Nice to get one the hard way.
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:32 pm