View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:30 am

second bird 
2 Year Old

Post second bird
this one came from national forest this morning. no gobbling early ,but about 9:00 a bird answered me from way out the mountain. so i go to him. gave a few soft calls, no response. so i sat down beside a good tree and called again- this time he nearly blew my hat off. i called once more and he gobbled. i then did not call anymore( as much as i love to make turkeys gobble it attracts a lot of attention on nat. forest land). but my plan back-fired. he went into a gobbling fit like a bird with turrets syndrome. he litterally came down the logging road going pfft-vrooomm-gobble, pffft- vroomm gobble gobble. at times he was triple gobbling. he done this all the way to within twenty yards, then i wadded him up. he was 18 lbs. 9" beard and 3/4" spurs. needless to say it was a great and beautiful morning in the turkey woods.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:49 am
2 Year Old

I've always been told those later gobbling birds are more likely to come in. Way to go and way to stick with it. Congrats.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:03 pm