View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:18 am

Monkey Off My Back! - Photos Added 
King of Spring

Post Monkey Off My Back! - Photos Added
It's been three LOOONNNGGG years, but the monkey finally jumped from my back this morning, thanks to the Man upstairs and a good friend found because of this board. TScott and I headed out this morning to a field setup deep in the national forest that has been known to harbor birds on dreary days such as the one predicted for Tuesday. The morning greeted us without rain, but a heavy overcast. A single gobbler sounded off 6:25 a.m. on a ridge behind the field some 150-200 yards away. The decoys were in the field well before daylight. We were set to play the game. Unfortunately, the ladies were with the gentleman who was only mildly gobbling. After flydown, everything got quiet and calls went unanswered. We decided to do a little running and gunning to see if we could strike another bird. While picking up the decoys, TScott hears a bird a good ways off but back towards the truck. We start making our way back out the grassy access road, stopping every 100 yards or so. Each time either Scott or I hit the crow call, the bird that Scott first heard would answer. Because of the terrain, it was really hard to pinpoint his location, but we were definately headed in the right direction. The road we were walking had several bends and traversed some hills and hollows. At each bend, we's seperate, one hitting the crow call, one listening. Each time, we honed in on the bird. We reached a high point in the road and decided to pause and listen. Nothing. Crow call. Nothing. I told Scott that I really felt like the bird was one more ridge away and that we should work our way around the next bend and give it a listen. We start down a slight incline in a wide section of this grassy road and as we are coming around a bend I caught a glimpse of the top 4" inches of a black fan. We dive to the side of the road. The bird is 50 yards away in the road strutting by a blowdown blocking the road. There is NO COVER in which to set up. Scott settles in on the side of the road. I slowly slide up a small hill about 10 feet and rest my right shoulder against a small pine barely big enough to support my leaning on it. I'm basically laying on the side of a hill of small pieces of shale with one bare budding shrub between me and the road. The road takes a slight bend to the right, so terrain is to our advantage. If he comes up the road, when I see his head he'll be within range. Scott starts the game with a couple of short, low purrs on the slate and a tad louder yelp. GOOOOOBBBBLLLEEE!!! I nearly jumped out of my skin. I started to hypervenilate. My glasses fog up. My heart is in my throat. I quicky start to will myself out of this state or I know I'm going to blow the opportunity that has been presented. Seconds tick by and I can hear the bird drumming and a clicking sound that I had never heard from a bird previously. My glassess are starting to clear as I get my breathing under control. Scott puts on some more sweet music for the gentleman around the corner and GOOOOOBBBBLLLLEEEEE!! One of those deep, rattling gobbles that shakes you to the bone! Check to stock, bead on the bend in the road. Blue head, half strut, out of strut, neck extended. BOOM! Bird down. Sprint to the bird. Boot on head. He's dead! Man, what a rush. Haven't had that much adrenline flowing in a long, long time. Unload the gun and high fives! It happened so fast, yet took so long to play out. Thanks to the Man upstairs and to Scott for his good ears and mighty fine finese turkey talk, I was blessed with a nice national forest bird. 20 lbs 6 oz., 1" left and 1"right spurs, 9 10/16 beard. This is the first turkey I've had the opportunity to shoot with my new 870 Express Super Magnum. The 3 1/2" Hevishot #6's did their job at 25 yards and then some. What a morning! :D :shock: :D

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:27 pm
Profile YIM
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

I want my crow call back..... :>) seriously,double yippeee for both of you ...

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:36 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congrat's again buddy!!!! :D It was a blast!

This secret :wink: section of the national forrest has been good to me, two birds for me and one for Dale, not to mention the eight pointer I missed :roll:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:42 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

There is absolutely not a more deserving person or one that worked harder than you have for that bird!

A VERY MEGA CONGRADSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to ya Dale......Scott GREAT Job!!!

I am a HAPPY Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXTRAORDINARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Max

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Congrats to you! Sounds like an awesome hunt. Well deserved!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:54 pm
King of Spring

Congrats!! got goose bumps reading that one!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:56 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:09 pm
Longbeard

Heck yeah, that is a big mountain bird. Can't cheat the mountain, mountains got it's own ways, sounds like yall had a great ending to a super hunt that was well earned. Congratulations!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:31 pm
King of Spring

Holy Smokes! That monkey was starting to look more like a gorilla! So now that's done I guess you can get back to working on your golf game? :wink:

Seriously, it was great to read your post and I am real happy for both of you. I have a deep appreciation and respect the fact that you guys challenge yourselves to hunt public land birds. The success is that much sweeter! Great story! Looking forward to the pics. Congrats again!

BB

Last edited by Big Bird on Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:32 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congrat to you again. Now it is your turn to help out TScott :wink:
Cant wait to see the pics.
I hope you took one of your setup, that sounded like a comfy spot..ha ha

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:42 pm
King of Spring

^5. Glad you guys got to share the experience. Congrats!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Super! I can feel your happiness and appreciate it. great going!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:07 pm
Longbeard

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:51 pm
King of Spring

Great job Dale and TScott sounds like you all had a great morning!!

Doug

Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:53 pm
King of Spring

Awesome Dale.. I'm was so excited reading this post.. I know you have been toughing it out for a few years.. Congrats.. couldn't have happened to two better guys..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:52 am