View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:59 pm

Anyone use GPS? 
Poult

Post Anyone use GPS?
I am thinking of getting a gps for hunting. Wondering if any of you use them and have suggestions on what kind I should get.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

Post GPS
If the GPS is just used for hunting and not fishing then a small simple one like the Garmin etrex is great. Depending on the amount you want to spend will determine the features. For $100 you can get one that gets you in and out of the woods, saves info and works great. For 2-3 times that much you can add built in maps and color graphics. The maps help when you hunting large tracts of land and want to know where you are in relationship to roads. I hope this info helps.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:57 pm
Jake

I have the etrex Legend. Works really well. I use it to mark my favorite hunting spots. It also has some basic road information -major streets and such and also provides elevation information which is also pretty useful. A couple times it saved me some aggravation of getting semi-lost.

A few things to note that I've found: 1) Battery life - GPS sucks power like nobody's business. Get some rechargeables to save on cost 2) The front of the unit has the antenna so needs to either face up or at least out from the body. I usually carry it in my front shirt pocket facing out. I found out the hard way that even if it is dangling around your neck the signal goes in and out and so your 'path' turns into a dashed line. Also, the signal weakens in cloud cover and heavy leafy foliage.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:16 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I use one alot, mostly for scouting. I have a Magellan handheld. It is very basic, but works just fine for getting to key spots in the dark. I agree with everything SterlingGuy said. Make sure you take extra batteries! You'll find other uses for it besides hunting. Very cool to use while on an airplane (speed, trip progress, altitude, ETA, etc....).

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:44 pm
Longbeard

I've been usin gps for 8-9 yrs. The type I recommend is garmin. I sailed my boat for 2yrs off-shore from Me. to Dry Tortugas, Fla. Garmin has the best support, charts and ease of operation. I use it for inshore fishing and offshore fishing with charts but for hunting I use a Garmin 45(not produced anymore?). This machine has no charts but when you leave your car or camp, name it HOME( or whatever). You can mark waypoints or points of interest(name them, too), and when you want to get back to HOME, just punch "GO TO" HOME and it will give you direction and distance. If your using it on a 4 wheeler, don't use it in fog cause it can run you off a cliff if you're not careful. I always use a compass, or at least have one with me. Rarely do you have a battery failure with a compass!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:59 pm