View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:35 pm

I WAS HENPECKED/ Used a Hen As a TEACHER!! 
Poult

Post I WAS HENPECKED/ Used a Hen As a TEACHER!!
This morning my hunting partner and I went out and got a gobbler on the roost. We set up and my partner was calling.(known on this board asDownEast) Well he had to leave and go to work and this gobbler was in tree gobbling his head off. So never calling to a real turkey myself I was left to the task. I yelped a few times and he gobbled what RELIEF I didnt screw it up. At that instant 3 hens flew down and Gobbler stayed in tree. The hens were scratching the ground like there was no tomorrow and Gobbler flew down from me at about 60 yards.The gobbler went the opposite direction from me and I yelped again to let him know I was still there. He gobbled back. After about 15 minutes I heard something walking behind me and I knew it was my next door neighbor coming in so I turned very slowly and there she was a hen about 25 feet from me. I Thought I spooked her and she was puting but that wasnt the case. She was just eating and walking around. I watched her and 2 other hens for a good 45 minutes their actions and the way they were yelping and it was amazing to learn so much in so little time. One of the most amazing things is one of the hens walked up to me and looked at my boot and pecked at it amd just walked off slowly!!! Tell me camo doest work!!! Long story short I learned more in 2 hours than the last 2 years watching tv and talking to people. This really has HOOKED ME!! After they Walked away I left with a big smile on my face. Didnt get the gobbler, but like G.I. Joe always used to say "And knowing is half the Battle" now I am more experienced. I didnt call anymore either, Figured if he didnt come to them he wasnt coming to me with my terrible calling :D

Last edited by Fat Cobra on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

You poor b'd...your're hooked deep. Don't make any big investments until after the season.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:18 am
Poult

I guess that is a whole new meaning of henpecked isnt it!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
Jake

Camo definitely does work. I have had a squirrel walk over me and a hen slowly walk by so close I could have grabbed her. It's very cool.

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:41 pm
Profile YIM